Friday, December 4, 2015

Hurry Up and Wait: A #Wholemama Post


Toddlers are a great lesson in what it looks like when you don’t know how to wait.


Every minute is an eternity. The seconds that might tick by in the time between her requesting milk and my ability to put the cup in her hand stretch out into unacceptable infinity. I think to toddlers we adults must move slowly, like a giant tortoise lumbering by while they move at super-speed.


By the time I can even get the lid off of the milk, her initial polite request (delivered via the “more” sign, which in her mind means anything from “milk” to “food” to “no, not THAT food, this other food”) will have begun to morph into the full-throated, ear-piercing whine that is every toddler’s innate specialty.


She takes the milk from my outstretched hand and drinks noisily, immediately content, forgetting she was ever impatient at all. Meanwhile, my blood pressure is already up and the echo of her whine is still bouncing off the inside of my skull. Just about the time that echo dies down, she thinks of something else she wants and the process begins again.


I find myself occasionally wishing I could wait the way she does -- that is to say, there are days I’d like to whine, too, to stomp my feet and fling myself backwards or throw myself face-first off the couch in my frustration and know implicitly that I won’t hit the floor too hard when wrapped up in emotions because someone else will have already caught me before my head touches the hardwood floor.  


Toddlers do not wait, and they swing wildly between a kind of unthinking courage and helpless anxiety.



My baby girl still needs me to rescue her, but she would love to be able to save herself. She is fearless in all those ways I wish she wouldn’t be, and not at all in the ways that fearless would actually help.


I know the feeling.

Her stubbornness doesn't only come from me, but I definitely provided some of it. My father was hard-headed as a mule when he was certain of something, and that’s what I got from him. Well, that and my flat-food tread on the stairs, loud as a herd of elephants, much of the shape of my face, and the way I say the word ‘wash’ with an ‘r’ in it… but the biggest gift my father gave me was my stubbornness.

Although whether it counts as a 'gift' probably depends on who you're asking about it.


Unfortunately, I didn’t exactly manage to inherit his patience or ability to face the world before dawn with anything but a scowl and a trip to Starbucks, but hey, nobody's perfect.


Parenting is really just variations on "hurry up and wait", I think, and sometimes I get tired of the waiting part. There are mornings when I have had just about enough of brewing coffee at 4:30 am, when it becomes clear she’s not going back to sleep and therefore neither am I.


Sometimes, I want to stomp my feet and demand my evenings back. I’d love to declare that I will once again sit in silence and read while eating dinner, rather than sing-song-speaking what everything is while the tiny dictator I love more than I love my own heartbeat tries to decide if she will deign to try it.


I’d like to proclaim to the world that I will cook spicy soup that nearly lights our throats on fire, just the way we like it, no more mild chili, no more mild curries. I wish sometimes that she would just learn to sleep in already. I am jealous of people with older children. I’d love to tell the world that this time, I’ll wake up at 9:30 on Saturday morning instead of being thankful to only get up one hour before dawn instead of two. I will be one of those people who no longer wants to punch everyone in the face when they tell me smugly how their child slept through the night by now.


The waiting is hard, but the worst part about it is that while I stubbornly wait for her to just grow up a little, I hold just as tenaciously onto a desperate wish that she will always be so small.


My mother visits, and when she goes to use the bathroom in a store my daughter points at the closed door and says “Gaaaa - mah,” loud and clear, to let me know she knows very well where her grandmother is. She calls our dog “Puh-beh”, in her tiny insistent voice, good-naturedly giggling while his wagging tail repeatedly smacks her across the face. She is learning, finally, to walk all by herself.


She gives me a kiss goodbye in the mornings, when she feels like it.


I can’t wait for nights Jason and I get out of the house all by ourselves - and yet I miss her terribly the whole time we are away.


While many other mothers write from a position of having been through each stage before, every part of her development is so new to me. It’s exhausting and sometimes all I want is for this part, the part where she’s learning tantrums and whining and wanting all the time, to be over.

Then she holds up her arms and settled into my lap and I’d be happiest if she never grew up at all. I hold her as long as she wants, happy to wait for her to decide it's time to wriggle out of my arms and wander off to her newest adventure.


Today's post is my thirteenth while participating in the #wholemama link up. This week's theme was "wait". You can find the linkup here over on Erika Shirk's blog Overflow. My other posts as part of the linkup have been She is HomeI Used to Think I Couldn't DanceCalmA Hard Leap Off a High CliffMotherhood on PurposeOn Reading and PeaceI Lay You Down to Sleep, My LoveWhen It Rains... Celebrate,Parenting is SillyAnything But OrdinarySpacePrayer, and A Supermom is a Sleep-Deprived Mom

5 comments:

  1. Aw man, what is the deal with toddlers and pre-dawn wake ups? That's all I can really say... What is the deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! The books are all like "the average toddler sleeps 10 - 11 hours" and I'm wondering where all these average toddlers are because I have NEVER met one.

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh. This is hilarious to think about: "I think to toddlers we adults must move slowly, like a giant tortoise lumbering by while they move at super-speed." <-- like the grownups on charlie brown have low unintelligible voices.

    Oh my goodness. and I love this post, Katie. Thank you for sharing your gut honest words.

    I am right here with you. I wish stages away while listening to everyone around me say it goes so fast and enjoy it while it lasts. It is so hard to calm this parenting thing.

    And our noisy, early-rising, completely lovable and needy toddlers. :)

    <3 to you. I am here too. We can do this thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! There are mornings where I'm not sure how much of me there is to BE a mom, but I'm still trying. I just have to hope the effort is what counts.

      Delete
  3. The post you have shared here with us is so meaningful and informative I really like the way you have posted it. Thanks and keep sharing more with us.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!