Thursday, September 10, 2015

An Ode to My New(ish) Car



We bought you on a Sunday; we were running out of time 
The rental car had to be returned, we had a little less than a day.
It was your green that caught my attention; not a seafoam or a lime
Something they call 'kiwi', (although no fruit looks that way)
You weren't the newest car in the lot
You were basically the car everyone else forgot
But you are my car, even so
And it's to you I write this ode.

You'll never hold four carseats and you can't turn on a dime
You keep telling me the liftgate's ajar, no matter what I say
You're far too conspicuous for me to use you in a crime
(Then again, that's why I have those alibis, anyway)
The shiniest car? That you are not.
Still, you are the car that we bought.
And there is one reason I wrote you this ode 
(trust me, it's not that you have Sirius radio)
It's because you are so very green and that will never change
I also love you because there's no tree on your face.

 (I know that that's two reasons - I must beg your mercy
I wrote this whole poem with a toddler on me)

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If writing silly poems about cars is wrong, I don't want to be right.

      Delete
  2. Hilarious and cute at the same time. Never read something like this before, so I gotta say this is quite refreshing and ingenious! Thank you for sharing!

    Victoria Robbins @ Diviniti Auto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative! I like your style. But one thing you got right was that whether or not cars become worthy of poetry, they at least earn our admiration. How did you get around to looking for a new one? There's so much information out there, I think the internet makes it harder, not easier. I found one site I trust with great info.

    Eleanor Nelson @ Performance Auto VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I've heard of people loving their cars, but this goes above and beyond the "call of duty." Don't get me wrong. I think it is a beautiful ode to your family car. It's the kind of passage that actually makes hit songs. I could appreciate how it mentions the day you bought it and everything. This is totally epic!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!