Thursday, July 16, 2015

Whole Mama Prompt: Prayer


When I was little, I used to say the same prayer every night after I got into bed.

No, it wasn't "now I lay me down to sleep", the Lord's Prayer, or anything else anyone had already written down for us to memorize. I would never have had the common sense to save myself the extra effort that way.

Every night I would wait until the room was completely dark and quiet and I thought nobody else was awake to hear me, and would ask that my family be okay, that my friends be okay, and that my enemies be okay, too.

I was six. Who prays for the health of their enemies at six years old?

I didn't have enemies!

Unless you counted the creepy older kid from three blocks over who used to harass us or run over our stuff with his bike, although he was less than enemy than he was kind of a simple fact of the universe that we were forced to endure and avoid.

It still seemed important to wish the best for these antagonists who had yet to exist, in case I suddenly materialized them one day.

Eventually I started adding in a quick request for forgiveness at the end. I had a lot to ask forgiveness for, and it simply seemed to save time to just ask to be forgiven for all of it, rather than taking the time to list it all out. I'd never have had the time to sleep, otherwise.

I think I made a point of asking for forgiveness for me and for my enemies.

I was really concerned with making sure my enemies were taken care of.

(By the time I was eight, of course, I kind of did have actual enemies. Although in my defense, my whole class at school was basically a murder mystery waiting to happen.)

Those rote and routine prayers were pretty comforting at the time.

My prayers have changed up somewhat since then. Praying now is a little more... in the moment.

Now you'll hear less 'forgive my enemies' and way more 'Please God, tell me she didn't throw up in her crib." or "What do I need to do to get her to take a freaking nap today?". Sometimes we shake things up and add in "Please tell me there's a reason Jason got fired at 8 AM on a Monday morning the day after we get back from vacation and it's not just a cosmic joke to pile on top of everything else this past year."

The answers have changed, too.

The answers back then used to be mainly that I would wake up feeling a little easier on myself and the world, my six-year-old self feeling a little less worried. The truth about anxiety is that you're never not worried; it's a spectrum with no beginning and no end. When I began to research anxiety disorders - and was professionally diagnosed with mine - I found that it isn't an 'adult problem'. In retrospect, I've been prone to irrational fears and worry since I was very little, indeed.

Saying those same words out loud (albeit in a don't-wake-up-my-sister whisper) every night helped me fall asleep without worrying about how I'd messed up that day in kindergarten or whether or not my best friend actually liked me or why kids in class seemed more interested in making fun of me for reading than in doing it themselves and if that meant maybe I shouldn't read so much, either. (Hint: It didn't mean that. It never means that.)

I think that was the answer, in the end - that I could feel the knot in my chest, which has been basically my first and most constant companion in life, untangle itself for just a few minutes every night. I felt the same way during my favorite hymns on Sundays.

The answer to my prayers now is a whole different unraveling.

It's my baby, fighting off the latest stomach bug she picked up God knows where, curling her head under my chin after finally drinking enough for me to stop worrying about dehydration. It's the first time she wakes up happy and not crying in two days. It's when she is in my arms and holds hers out to Jason not because she wants him to take her, but because she wants us to have a family hug.

It's watching a child who could barely be cajoled into playing with her own toys one night scoot with determined speed to get her hands into the dog's water bowl the next.

I hope I can teach Audra (and, hopefully, her eventual siblings) to pray that way. Not to even really expect much out of the words in terms of a tangible reward, but to say them as a way of removing those things that otherwise weigh us down. As a way to unravel the knots of the anxiety. It's a conversation that doesn't have to move mountains every time - maybe just a few grains of sand.

The answers to my prayers are the moments that I realize I haven't worried about anything for ten whole seconds. A minute. Fifteen minutes. Even an unheard of whole hour of feeling pretty much at peace after a prayer.

I find myself sneaking into her room after she falls asleep, just to lay my hand very slightly on her back and feel it rise and fall with her breathing, and whisper a few more prayers on her behalf.

Of course, then there's the time 'sneak into her room' means 'attempt to sneak into her room, trip over the wipes box that is somehow in the middle of the floor, accidentally kicking it into the wall with a bang that the neighbors probably heard three houses down.

Those whispered prayers were probably the most fervent of all.

(This post was written as a response to the #WholeMama prompt "Prayer" for this week. The other post I've written using their prompts is here. Find out more information, and read posts by other bloggers on this week's prompt here.)

Whole Mama

13 comments:

  1. You have a great writing voice and, boy, do I remember those days and those prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. You don't know how great it is to get that compliment!

      I make it through the days and find myself daydreaming about having the second baby and then we have nights where she's sick and up three times and I wonder why I want to introduce ANOTHER infant into this, haha

      Delete
  2. I really loved how you tied your young self in with your present self. I have said that prayer helps me be at peace, but you see prayer "As a way to unravel the knots of the anxiety," you describe it in a very tangible way. I am going to remember those words! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on prayer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to read! I appreciate seeing so much support already from the #WholeMama ladies.

      Delete
  3. This post is so quintessential Katie and I love it. I also really needed to read it right now. A reminder that there's a place I can set all this heaviness down for a moment followed up with a laugh at the end. Gracias, mamacita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I whisper prayers over my little ones when I check their breathing before I go to sleep. (Anxiety has been a longtime companion that has many times drawn me into prayer.) Thank you for your authentic, beautiful writing. I'm so glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder at what point I'll stop sneaking in there to check on her breathing. We're going on a year and I still do it a few times a week.

      Delete
  5. It is amazing how God meets the young in their prayers and how he uses our memories to teach us things even now. May your prayers continue to peacefully comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prayers of children are pretty exceptional - if only because kids think of the world in such concrete up or down, no in-between kind of terms.

      Delete
  6. Yes to the prayer that there is no vomit. Always the prayer that there is no vomit. I'm so glad to meet you, over at my place and here! I'm glad you found the whole mama party and look forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome! I've enjoyed the last couple of weeks of reading the blogs in the linkup!

      And yes. That prayer is forever on the tip of my tongue "please tell me she didn't throw up".

      That prayer is always answered - just not always the way I want it to be.

      Delete
  7. I loved the picture of moving just a few grains of sand with each of our prayers. Removing a load each time.

    So glad you joined us this week!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!