Friday, August 1, 2014

Countdown


Apparently, I am going to have a baby on Monday.

It's very exciting.

My dryer broke Wednesday afternoon (of course it did), so we called an appliance repairman out. He fixed it up Thursday morning, which is good since I had two wet loads full of baby blankets, baby sheets, baby clothes and tiny baby socks and hats just sort of lounging around my house at that point. 

I made gumbo for dinner last night. Heavily pregnant or not, I continue my streak of being the Queen of Soups. I based it off of this recipe, although I made a real roux with butter instead of using vegetable oil, and my sausage was pre-cooked because authenticity is for people who didn't just really crave gumbo. It is pretty cool to use okra from our front garden, though.

Tomorrow is Jason and I's last day to just be by ourselves, to just be us. Sunday we'll be spending most of the day dropping our dog off with a friend and then with his family before we head into the hospital. 

So tomorrow we're going to go get breakfast somewhere, and then we're going to just be with each other, while little fists pummel my sciatic nerve and tiny feet kick me in the lungs and I will think, give me a couple of days, kiddo, and I can hold those little fists and those tiny feet. I will be relieved to have my organs back, albeit tenderized. We'll try to get some more useful things done. Well, Jason will try to get some useful things done while I relax because that's what I'm supposed to be doing.


Car seat is installed. The stroller is set up. My bags are mostly packed; I'm mostly ready to go. 

Of course, I'm not ready at all.

I'm under no illusions; even if I had the nursery completely put together, even if every toy was assembled and everything was exactly in its place, there isn't any such thing as 'ready' when it comes to this.

So... I'm not ready.

In three days I still won't be ready, but it'll be too late to push for ready, because she'll be here. There won't be any "three days from now", there won't be any "soon", there will just be now.

We are about to be so very, very broke.

Eh, we're already broke.

We're about to be drowned by a baby and all her resultant noises and bodily fluids and stuff.

It's gonna be awesome.

6 comments:

  1. Ohh what great timing to find your blog! Looking forward to reading about newborn life (whenever you have the time to make it to your computer haha). Happy and safe delivery to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to hear that you're enjoying having found me; hopefully I can entertain you as much with the newborn madness as I have with... uh... the other stuff so far, haha.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow! You're about to rock this chaos so hard. Both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are about to do something! I may just bury myself in stuffed animals and hope no one can see me.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I hope all goes well tomorrow. That's a lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the almost-baby state of affairs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!