Saturday, June 28, 2014

Tomboy Style, Plus One: 32 Weeks


Also known as "I have to dress up for work but I kind of don't care anymore, so take some all-black, suckas. Watch me wear all black. I'm like a New Yorker, right?"

Every once in a while I do need to dress a little more nicely at my job, for events we throw. And normally I go out of my way to actually put a nice pair of pretty dress-up pants on and a colorful, dressy top that will actually fit in with the idea that I am some kind of professional.

At this point, I think my workplace should just be happy I'm not wearing pajama pants.

I would if I could, you know.

I would if I could.


So basically, I ended up wearing something that screams out "at least I'm wearing real pants", and I think we're going to have to accept that compromise for the miracle it really is. Because I did spend some time staring at a pair of black yoga pants trying to decide if I could just wear them and have no one be the wiser.

In the end, I decided no. Someone would notice. What with them clearly being yoga pants.

Some weird stuff has started up; the third trimester is not for sissies, let me tell you internets. I don't even know how people can go around just shrugging off being pregnant, because this is work. And pretty painful sometimes, too. I have new respect for every visibly pregnant woman I've ever seen climbing stairs, or carrying anything at all. Or walking uphill. Or just existing.

I just keep telling myself that I'm almost eight months, which means that soon we'll be in the serious homestretch where things could go crazy at any time. Literally any time.

Of course, then I panic and realize that any time actually means any time, and realize our nursery isn't ready and neither is the house and oh lord how are we going to do this and then I curl into a little ball on the couch and rock back and forth.


Or I would, if my stomach didn't ensure that I can't actually curl into a ball anymore.


Tomorrow I have the first of my baby showers. I fully expect to feel terribly confused and somewhat out of place, because I've only even been to like three baby showers in my whole life and, uh, definitely never been to one that was being hosted for me.

I vaguely remember enjoying my sister's baby shower, back more years ago than I am currently willing to admit because I'm tired of my awesome niece insisting on growing up whenever I'm not around, darn it. But I have no idea what actually happened during said shower - my only clear memory of the whole thing is of the stroller Christina received. Oh and I think she had really good mints at hers. I remember liking the mints.

And it was only a year and a couple of months ago or so that my friend Sarah had her baby shower, which definitely was fun. I remember eating way too much food. I can do that now, too, and no one can judge me! Yay!

So there you go; either I'm terribly unprepared for baby showers, or I'm going to really enjoy them because I haven't actually experienced very many. And also food.

In Case You Want to Recreate This Mess:
Cardigan: J. Crew, old, same cardigan in current colors here
Shirt: Liz Lange for Target Maternity, here
Pants: Gap Maternity, here
Necklace: Bought at this awesome store in Bryson City, NC
Shoes: Skechers via JCPenney, similar. Look, I basically live in supportive sneakers now. Fancy shoes are for other people. I am not a "you can wear high heels during pregnancy" blogger. I mean, I couldn't wear high heels before.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, screw high heels. When wearing real pants is asking a lot, then high heels are NOT on the menu =P I hope your baby showers are fun! I love the landscape-y necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that necklace in a big way. The guy who makes it makes them out of recycled wood and then the shiny bits in mine are recycled piano keys and other metals. His name is T. Breeze VerDant and you can find him here:

      http://www.tbreezeverdant.com/

      Each necklace comes with a helpful little card that tells you exactly what wood/stuff is in each necklace. It's pretty awesome.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link! That is definitely awesome. I'm tempted to email him about getting a custom brooch (I'm obsessed with rabbits) but I'm broke so I shouldn't, because, like, gas money... I guess I'll bookmark his website and waffle about the possibility =P

      Delete
    3. Just don't think about the gas money. You don't, like, need to DRIVE anywhere anytime soon... right?

      Delete
  2. I applaud your commitment. I might very well have ended up in the yoga pants. You really do look lovely and put together and sunnny and glowing -- I'd never guess you were dealing with an endurance test of pain and discomfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... until you saw me come home and just pass. out.

      Delete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!