Tuesday, February 4, 2014

This Week, on a Very Special Episode...


I know it seems like a terrifying way to begin the end of civilization as we know it, but it's true! Jason and I are expecting a new bundle of noise and soiling itself to join the animals in waking us up at 3 a.m. (and 4... and 5... and 6...) sometime in the middle of August!

The animals, meanwhile, are a little bit confused about their part in all this madness. So far it mostly consists of "sit on top of Katie while she inexplicably needs a nap right after eating dinner, because stirring is now an exhausting ordeal."

 


They're very good at that sitting-on-me thing.

So now I spend more time than seems reasonable looking at strollers, and I'm reading all the books ever. Pregnancy Sucks is so far my favorite, because it's not a saccharine drip but actually pretty much entirely hilarious. Also liking the book from the first picture. It's all bright and cheerful and full of diagrams and happy looking people. I like to believe they exist in a world where the first trimester is fun. Those lucky, lucky women.

Also I am a nonstop eating machine.

I'd tell you to send help, but... I'd probably eat the help.

That reminds me; does anyone have any jalapeno potato chips they don't want? I could definitely punch a small child for some jalapeno potato chips right now...

15 comments:

  1. YAY!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We definitely think it's exciting ;)

      Delete
  3. Congrats! You're gonna be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope so and am terrified!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!! I have a 15 month old, and one thing that I found I SHOULD have done while pregnant was read super realistic parenting books. I definitely read a ton of books re: pregnancy, but I only read a couple of parenting books. They didn't prepare me for the crazy that happens when your baby cries for like 3 hours at 5:30pm every single night. I don't know if all moms are like (I know my husband doesn't feel this way), but baby crying is literally the worst, most annoying, hardest sound to hear EVER. I immediately feel super anxious.

    Anyway, now that I've made this all about me, I also wanted to say that my husband is from Upstate SC, too. We were in that area until about 2 1/2 years ago when we moved to NC for him to go to graduate school. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I just realized I wrote a book compared to everyone else. SO SORRY, haha.

      Delete
    2. Haha no apologies, I like your book!

      The Pregnancy Sucks book actually has a section about new parenthood in the back which is just as hilarious as the rest of it, but it deals with the "YOU WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN" aspects of new parenthood, and the stresses that having a new baby WILL put on your marriage/relationship/friendships/everythings. A friend of mine who has an almost-9-month-old gave me a copy of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and I've been kind of eyeballing some of the parenting books that deal with the first year, and then through toddlerhood, stuff like that. I'm trying not to read too many parenting books until a little further in, because i don't want to terrify myself. Which I will totally do.*





      *you know how they tell you not to read the section fo What to Expect that don't apply to you? FIRST SECTIONS I READ. I am convinced I and/or my fetus have every rare genetic defect known to man now.

      Delete
  5. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy shit, congratulations!!! You're going to be a fantastic parent to this lucky human. Additionally, you're going to be ridiculously funny, wry, and irreverent about all of this -- this meaning pregnancy, motherhood, life, etc. So that part is lucky for me (and everybody else lucky enough to get a glimpse of your experiences and observations). I can't wait. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha thanks! I am finally starting to ALSO feel excited - for the first ten weeks I just felt nauseous and tired, but now excitement is making an appearance!

      Delete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!