Friday, October 11, 2013

Hardly Even One Degree of Separation


So, I've mentioned previously that I am a huge fan of the Fabulous Beekman Boys, that there is no dignity in my love for them and also no shame. I would probably collapse into hysterical, nonsensical babbling the way twelve-year-old girls collapse in front of Justin Bieber (Beiber? Bieber? Burrburr? I don't even know) if I were ever to actually meet Josh or Brent (OR FARMER JOHN) in person.

Well, I did not meet them in person. I wouldn't be able to write this entry coherently for at least a week if I had.

But.

But.

I met people who have. Which is almost as good.

I work in a small museum, and today we had two visitors come in who got to chatting with me a little bit. They mentioned they were from a small town in rural New York, and we discussed the sad reality of being from a state with an big, important city like NYC or Chicago - everyone assumes you're from the city and loses interest the minute you start talking farmland, fields, and population counts in the hundreds.

I mentioned to them that I did know just a little about rural New York, thanks to a TV show and website I really like. They asked about the name of it, and I answered that the TV show was called The Fabulous Beekman Boys and the website Beekman 1802.

"Oh, we live about four miles from Sharon Springs," The man replied.

"Really?" I asked. I may have jumped up and down a little.

"Yeah, you know, we've been in the Beekman house."


"Really."

I finally let them leave something like a half an hour later.

When they mentioned that they had actually met Josh and Brent and knew Farmer John, well, they were officially not going anywhere until I was damn good and ready to let them go. I had questions to ask and giggling to do.

Luckily, they were more than willing to stay and chat with me and I am pretty sure they don't find me terrifying. Not, like, one hundred percent sure? But pretty sure.

We talked about Sharon Springs' history as a town (I knew about how it used to be a spa from Josh's book the Bucolic Plague which is one of my favorite books to re-read and I am starting to sound like a seriously deranged fan at this point aren't I) and how the man used to help write grants and was part of the push to try and bring Sharon Springs back from its state of being somewhat in disrepair back in the eighties. He had a lot of stories about the town, the American Hotel, and the Beekman house itself.

Some of it I knew already from the book or the show but a lot of the history aspect I really didn't know about. We talked about how they know the woman who makes Beekman 1802's goat milk soap, and how they showcase the local cooks and photographers and artisans on their site, how they've been good for bringing Sharon Springs back.

I mentioned that a big part of my love for the website is just that; how often they work with or showcase locals, how much Sharon Springs has changed just in a few years. I'm a lover of small towns; I'm not shy about rambling endlessly about how I grew up in one. I know they have their faults and their tendency to fear change, but I love seeing small towns on the brink brought back. The owner of the American Hotel in Sharon Springs is a big part of that, and Josh and Brent have been a part of it, too.

I love reading about small towns that fall apart and then come back, and I feel like Sharon Springs, the Beekman house itself, and the local population are essentially 'characters' in the show, website, and book just as much as Josh, Brent, and Farmer John are.

I'll stop gushing about it now, I promise.

So, anyway, the conversation wrapped up and our two visitors left to go visit a quilt show down the road from my workplace, and I sat down and thought, "That's it. I've met people who know Farmer John, who have met and spoken to Josh and Brent from my favorite reality show and who wrote one of my favorite books. I don't even care what else happens today. It's been a good day."

Then I remembered that Jason's having his friends over for their regular get-together tonight, and that meant I was going to eat pizza for dinner.

I thought, Screw it being a good day. It's already been a good day. Now it's going to be an awesome day."

Then I took a drink of my coffee and greeted the next visitor with a smile and good cheer that made him faintly worried, but it's okay.

People having awesome days are like that sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. There ain't nothin' wrong with being a fan girl. Like you point out, fan love is love, and love makes you better to be around. ;)

    Ahem, I'm going to go listen to another Dan Harmon podcast and rewatch the second season of Community...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's funny? I put this up on twitter and actually got a reply from the Beekman Boys' twitter account. And squealed. ANd then died of happiness.

      You're actually talking to a zombie right now. But a happy one.

      Delete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!