Sunday, September 29, 2013

To Prove Oneself


So... this happened.


While out running errands on Friday, my coworkers came across a stray cat in a parking lot outside of town. There aren't any houses nearby. The kitten ran right over to them, dropped at their feet, and rolled over to show his belly. One of my coworkers, whose heart is three sizes too big, brought him back to work and kept him overnight.

I waffled back and forth, back and forth. We both put up blasts on facebook but there weren't any commitments, and then somehow I ended up taking the cat home yesterday.


We've named him Sana, which apparently means "proving" or "to prove oneself". Jason picked the name out; all my name suggestions were various forms of "cow" or "horse" in different languages, because I think I'm funny.

He's in the guest room right now until we can get him to a vet for all the checkin' up new cats need. I forgot to bathe him before putting the anti-flea stuff on his neck, so that was silly. Bathing cats is... an interesting experience, anyway, I could put that off for a while, right?

He's met the dog. The dog was enthusiastically friendly, because he LOVES cats; he would just die of happiness if there was a cat in the house that did more than tolerate his presence. Sana is definitely not super sure of the dog, but only hissed at him when he got really close and just laid down and chilled out as soon as he backed up, so I think we're at the start of a beautiful friendship. I mean, I know I've had friendships start out that way.

Our current cat came around the door while we had it just barely cracked, and we let them see each other. There was a little hissing and spitting, but not much. I gave our cat lots of treats by the door while she could see Sana, which is what the internet told me to do. He's going to live in that room for at least another week or so, so I'm not super worried about introductions right away.


He is a small thing, all bony knobs of spine and featherlight weight. He's black with a white face and white belly, little white booties on his paws and white back legs right up to where they meet his belly. His tail is quite masterfully floofy. There's evidence that he had a tough time out there while on his own; there are scratchy-scars on his nose and he eats like he's never seen food before. He's very much a chill, quiet cat; he purrs like a car engine but doesn't really meow, and just sort of falls over from happiness if you give him any attention.

So... now we need to figure a new cat out.

This was not planned, but cats always end up that way - you go out and plan to get a dog, in my experience, but cats find you.

8 comments:

  1. You got him? Yay!!! He's such a gorgeous cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Despite all our common sense and better judgement, haha

      Delete
  2. With momma, Dogs always found her... That's why I grew up with SO many as a kid. That's tough on a cat person. Beautiful kitty, I know he will be so happy at your wonderful home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the vet trip goes well! He sure is such a little cutie, his eyes are such a great color. We had a similar situation happen to use a couple of months ago. A kitten ran into the intersection and we ran out to get the poor thing who was so scared he just hunkered down in the road. He had to spend a little over a month quarantined in the bathroom until we got him all cleared up of all his ailments, but now he is now a member of our family and our other cat loves him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, our little guy definitely brought some little crawly friends in with him, so he's living in the guest room until he's A. neutered and B. completely free of crawlies.

      He probably put on a pound in two days, just from regular feedings. We're not even giving him all that much; what you can't see in those photos up there was just how bony his back and little hipbones were.

      He goes in to become an it on Thursday. Crossing my fingers everything goes according to plan.

      Delete
  4. My heart is exploding. This is exactly how I found my cat. A seemingly feral kitten leaps into my arms in a parking lot -- that's fate, right? How totally wonderful for you guys. This fluffer nutter is totally adorable. I can't wait to see more of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross your fingers - hopefully once he's allowed out into the general population of this insane asylum I'll have more photo opportunities :)

      Delete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!