Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Stuck-at-Home Sanity Kit, Part 1



There are two parts to my kit for how to not lose my mind while stuck at home recovering from ridiculous medical stuff.

This is the first part, arguably the most important. I can live without a lot of things, but when I feel bad, books are the first place I turn.

I have magazines for when I'm too sleepy from healing (and, let's face it, I will probably have to take a painkiller or two) to focus and books for when I'm awake but don't care for that whole 'get up and walk around' madness. Because I tend to rocket through books like I'm trying to break some kind of world record, I tried to grab more than one.

For the magazines, I have Garden & Gun, InStyle, Self, and Marie Claire; easy, fizzy things my brain can buzz around without having to land for more than a couple of minutes at a time in any one place.

For later, I have Books of Adam: The Blunder Years, a new book out by one of my absolute favorite of all-time bloggers, as well as A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel (I am a sucker for "I grew up in a small town" memoirs... you can all probably guess why), and finally This Republic of Suffering: Death and the Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust. It's a study on how the sheer number of casualties from the Civil War (total war deaths are estimated at around 620,000, and some people say as many as 30% of Southern men between 18 - 35 died in the war) affected American society overall and how it changed our trajectory as a nation. I am looking forward to this, because I am morbid and don't judge me. One of the best books I own is a study on how the Black Death changed European society and, to an extent, the long-term trajectory of the Western World in general.

You'd think someone who struggles with anxiety, freaks out about the slightest problem, and tends to be a bit of a hypochondriac would not enjoy these books, but... what can I say, I surprise even myself.

Now, that is one-half of my absolute must-haves to survive being stuck home; books and magazines, something for my brain to bubble in and something for my brain to feed on.

Tomorrow, you'll see the other things that are going to keep me from going stark raving mad while I'm here counting seconds until I'm cleared to go back to work.

I'm going to post today, tomorrow, and one will go out Friday morning. After that it'll be radio silence for a little bit, because nobody needs to read what I would be typing while on painkillers.

At least Jason will be there to write down anything too ridiculous not to remember.

He's a giver that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!