Friday, July 19, 2013

5 Things - Luck and Protection


I go in for my medical thing today. I am sitting here drinking black coffee, which isn't my favorite, but I'm not allowed to have any food or not-see-through liquid today, and I can't even have any water after 9 am today. By the time all this is over with I will be a raging hungerbeast.

I am allowed to have Pedialyte, which is the last thing I plan to drink before my cut-off time. I bought some at the store yesterday, along with the prescribed anti-bacterial hand-soap and body-soap (which we don't keep in the house normally, I don't worry about that stuff). The cashier at the register smiled and said, "Aw, how old is your sick baby?"

This is the second time a cashier at that store has assumed I have a baby.

She was pretty mortified when I said I didn't have one, so I tried to explain why I was buying Pedialyte, but I'm pretty sure I just messed her morning up right there.

Ah well.

I could use some good luck (which is my way of saying I am totally fishing for good luck thoughts from my readers, haha) and I thought I'd use it as inspiration for a 5 things post.

Here are some good luck charms I found on etsy, some of which I kind of wish I was carrying in with me. I know that I can find examples of most of these things elsewhere on the internet, but I just like etsy.



1. The hamsa, which I have talked about my love for previously, is considered a symbol bringing good fortune. It's often paired with or contains an 'evil eye', to help protect against those who wish you ill. The Jewish version of the hamsa often contains Hebrew writing and the stones representing the twelve tribes of Israel, or fish, which are considered good luck symbols all on their own.

The necklace above is off etsy, from Jenny Rodriguez at PureLifeForever. I also really like this bracelet, this vintage pendant, and this T-shirt.




2. The rabbit's foot! This is a good luck symbol all over the world, which suggests to me that it's a fairly old good-luck charm, since we see it in Europe, Asia, Africa, and even North and South America. As I'm not a fan of actual cut-off rabbit's feet, I prefer the little charms like this that suggest it without having to be gross.

This necklace is from Anna Holder over at ArmadilloJacks is perfect. I'm also a fan of this necklace with multiple charms and this bracelet.



3. Barnstars! People don't know much about these, but if you've ever seen a horseshoe hung over a stable doorway for luck, it's the same concept. Sometimes it's not the traditional five-pointed star but a circular wagon-wheel shape instead. Serves the same purpose, though; to bring good luck and protection to the barn or house.

They're mostly seen in the Pennsylvania/Northeastern area of the United States. I currently have a hamsa on my wall for good luck, but if we ever have a barn in my idealistic hypothetical future house that I already have planned out down to the last beam of wood, a barnstar is going to be a part of it.

Or maybe I'll just paint my own barn quilt, since I love those too.

OR BOTH.

The above take on the barnstar concept is from Gregory Morris over at SlippinSouthern. The colors and the fading/aging look perfect for my hypothetical barn. I also like this photograph of a small, cast-iron version, and this many-pointed star on wood panel with a Welsh love-knot painted over it.




4. Wishbone! No, not the dog with the awesome TV show from my childhood. I miss that show; I learned a lot of lessons from that dog. Although now I've gotten distracted.

Wishbones are a symbol of good luck that nearly everyone recognizes right off the bat; there's even an understanding that if you find a wishbone, you and a friend should make a wish and pull, and whoever gets the bigger half gets their wish. This has never held true for me, but that may be because I only ever wish for a horse and the wishbones are probably tired of it and want me to pick a new wish.

Next time I'll wish for a dog the size of a horse. That'll show 'em.

I love the baby onesie above, made by Rosin Bean James at KitchenInk. Other wishbone goodies are this 'lucky shot' necklace, this art print, and this pretty wrap bracelet.



5. The albatross, which received somewhat of a reputation hit after the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but is not a bad-luck sign. It's considered by sailors to be a sign of a lucky voyage, and in the poem the narrator turns that luck bad by killing the bird out of spite.

Which kind of seems like the narrator was asking for it, because who kills an albatross, really.

The print above is from a photograph, and you can find it in Ian Latham's shop, ElmosPhotos. I am also a fan of this abstracted pewter-color necklace, this giclee print, and this interesting piece with embroidery over an ablatross illustration.

So, there you go. Five lucky charms, and hopefully by thinking so much about them they'll all help me out.

I'll see you a few days, intrepid readers.

Cross your fingers, toes, and eyes and wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Sending you good luck wishes from the Northwest!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara SwearingenJuly 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM

    Katie, You will do fine! You are strong!!

    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!