Monday, June 24, 2013

Eminently Distractable


I made something wonderful tonight.

And I took terrible photos of it.

But I'm going to tell you how to make it anyway. Because it's so good that you won't even care about my awful photos once you've made it.

Our veggie and fruit delivery brought us zephyr squash and pattypan squash this week, so I decided to throw together something squash based tonight. Then I read Lemony Thyme's description of a summer salad she threw together, and despite her lack of recipe, decided to adapt the idea at least into a recipe of my own.

It made enough for Jason and I to split it for a full main course, but you could eat smaller portions and have a great side dish to go with turkey burgers or something off the grill.

I would tell you about my day here, except that all I did was get groceries, clean the kitchen, and make food. I made a turkey-and-kidney-bean meatloaf (from this recipe) for Jason and I to take to work for lunches this week, and this awesome squash salad I'm trying to remember to tell you about.

Seriously. Focus, Katie. 

Focus.

Actually, wait, before I focus I need to tell you something. 

So, last week the dog brought us a tiny dead baby bird as a gift. Jason got rid of it, we praised the dog loudly and effusively, he felt very useful as a member of the pack.

Today, after Jason had left for work, the dog brought me something else. He brought me a rabbit. So I got rid of it, while trying to simultaneously praise the dog for his gift to the family and tell the entire world how much I wanted to throw up right now, so loudly our neighbors came out to see if I was okay.

So now that I've made all of you who don't already own dogs never want one...

Shall we talk delicious foods? 

Or should I give it a minute for the idea of that rabbit to leave your minds, so you'll ever want to eat again?

Wait, I have an idea for how to get your minds off the dead bunny.

One of my favorite bloggers just had her baby. Go look at the cute baby, and then come back here and read my recipe. Everyone wins! Especially cute babies!


Ingredients

2 small-to-medium or one large zephyr squash (any yellow squash works)
2 small-to-medium or one large pattypan squash
sweet corn (a couple of ears' worth of fresh, or I used a can because we had no fresh on hand)
1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
Two handful fresh spinach leaves (can use baby or adult, it's fine)
1 large tomato
1 red onion, cut in long slices
Three or four fresh basil leaves, minced
Two large or four small sage leaves, minced
a teaspoon or two of fresh thyme
Red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
Extra virgin olive oil (need about two tablespoons, divided)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes, if you like a little heat (I do)

Onto the Creation!

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit. Set a pot of water boiling and put a steaming basket above it. 

Toss your red onion and corn in one tablespoon of the olive oil, and roast in the oven for roughly twenty minutes, stirring after ten. Meanwhile, cut your squash into long, thin ribbons (thin disks for the pattypan)  and steam until just done with the spinach. Remove from heat.

Chop up your herbs and tomato. Toss into a large bowl with the garlic and add the corn, onion, squash, and spinach when everything is done (you want the corn to start browning in a few spots and the onions to be starting to brown). Add in a good splash of red wine vinegar, the other tablespoon of olive oil, your salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.

Put in fridge to cool. After about half an hour, add your Parmesan cheese and then continue to chill until it's a cold salad.

Then eat and enjoy!

This was super simple, and perfect to make a day ahead. I'm considering re-making this recipe in part to take to a get-together I'm going to soon, because it was so good I want to inflict it on others. 

Wait, that wasn't the right word...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!