Friday, January 11, 2013

5 Things - The Meh Edition

Feeling a little under the weather today, so I'll keep the commentary to a bare minimum.

Here's 5 things that strike me as pretty cool this week:


Photo from the Chocolate Moose, my favorite place to get cupcakes in Greenville.

1. Southern Living is having a contest to pick The South's Tastiest Town, and Greenville is on the list! Which I definitely think is pretty cool. Greenville is getting a reputation for being sort of a little foodie's paradise, and there's a reason for that.

On the high-end side, we have Devereaux's, American Grocery, the Lazy Goat, Rick Erwin's Nantucket Seafood, and many others. Places like the Bohemian, the Overlook Grill, Ford's Oyster House, Blue Ridge Brewing Company, the Owl, Everyday Organic, Puerto Vallarta, Coffee Underground... there's just no end to neat places to eat. I've walked four and a half miles to have lunch at the Swamp Rabbit Cafe and had a great time (and their iced coffee is one of the smoothest in Greenville!)

I urge any Greenville folks, or even people who've been to visit and enjoyed the food, to go over and vote for us!

I realize I adopted this town and it's not really my hometown, but that doesn't mean I don't love it just as much.

Also how long do I have to live here before I can call it my hometown? I'm not clear on the rules for that.



2. Tiny Confessions over on etsy. Christopher Rozzi does a series of small paintings of dogs, cats, and others (like a witch or Frankenstein's monster) with the true story of what's going on inside their heads that we don't really get to know.

Some of them are sweet, like the above and this one, and some are just sort of hilariously spot-on, like this. I think the Stormtrooper one is awesome, too.

 I am considering e-mailing him to ask if he'd do a custom piece. Hm...



3. I like to look at beautiful clothing from other eras I would never willingly be forced into. Case in point, above.

Gorgeous, but I don't even want to describe to you how uncomfortable I would be.

Although I do own a shirt-and-tank combination in almost exactly the same colors that I wear all the time.

So... make of it what you will.



4. It may not be a pretty soup, but in the depths of winter (even a surprisingly balmy winter like Greenville is having right now) I always end up with cravings for French onion soup.

This recipe uses Guinness and good Irish cheddar. Beer and cheese? I'm in. You had me at 'beer'.

You might be thinking I should save this 'til March for St. Patrick's Day, but I think I'd rather just make it twice.

Pencil that in for next week's grocery run...




5. Wooden cameo necklaces by OnceAgainSam. Sarah Mandell a local Greenville etsy-shop owner. Her stuff is also available in a few different places downtown, for any locala who come across this (Liz Daly, Brew & Ewe, Art & Light Gallery).

I just really like the look of all the little wood cameo necklaces. She also has cuff-style bracelets available with the wooden cameos, which is honestly what I'm really staring heavily at and dreaming about my birthday.

I think I'm just craving jewelry lately.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go back to my current library book, a history of Russia. Although to be honest, it's about 2/3 a history of Soviety Russia and about 1/3 the rest of the time Russia ever existed. It's a little disappointing, but a very good book; I was just a little bit more interested in pre-Soviet times.

Ah well.

That's why the library is a place of paradise; I can just go get another book on Russia there.

There is much rejoicing.

And look, I kept my promise. Not a single dog photo in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!