Saturday, December 22, 2012

27000!

27,000 pageviews! Color me excited. I like a nice even (large) number.

Maybe I should set up some kind of fun thing for 30K or 35K... or maybe I'll totally plan to do that, forget, and then try to plan one for 50K. You never can tell with me; I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in, I don't know... cheese or something.

Jason and I are getting ready for the holiday madness, although to be fair the madness started sometime around Thanksgiving and has simply been inexorably ramping itself up. The upside is that we are basically done with getting presents for people; the downside is that we're totally not even remotely done giving them.

Currently reading: The Heroes, by Joe Abercrombie. Abercrombie is a somewhat up-and-coming author who specializes in a version of sci-fi/fantasy that makes clear that there isn't always a happily-ever-after, even when fictional mages and kings are involved. Jason and at least one other friend of ours and I devoured his first trilogy, and I am less than 100 pages from the end of The Heroes.

I started it Wednesday.

The books are being called, somewhat truthfully, "scroundel lit" or "gritty fantasy". Nobody's really a good guy, there's an awful lot of mud-streaked faces, and well... war. Nonetheless, if you can take your sci-fi/fantasy with some serious darkness in it, I highly recommend Abercrombie's work.

Currently Panicking About: Christmas. Isn't everyone? Or, I guess, your holiday of choice. I am always panicking about something, and I suppose Christmas is as good a reason as any. Jason and I are traveling this weekend, so there's all sorts of logistics I can imagine the worst about. Which makes me glad I worked today, and Jason was home to do the actual planning and logistics. It's easier for me to not panic if I can't actually see what I can get worked up about.

Especially when traveling in a car, I have some issues. Also when traveling in a plane. Or on a bus. Or cruise ship. Possibly even on a speedboat.

You know, there actually isn't a form of travel I don't worry about.

Don't worry, though; I have located the closest Starbucks within range of every single stopping point we may have, so at least I'll be so caffeinated I won't be able to sleep through my worries.

That'll help.

We have a friend house- and cat-sitting for us, so I've got that bit of contentment to distract myself with occasionally. You know, when I'm not busy trying to decide which Interstate will be the most crowded and full of people who don't know how to drive and what if the road is slick and oh man what if somebody goes the wrong way down the highway which people totally do all the time.

Anxiety disorders are fun for the whole family! There are so many things to panic about, and I will find them all.

It's very exciting.

Pray for my husband's mental health, guys.

He's about to be stuck in a car with me... for eleven hours.

Merry Christmas, oh light of my life and love of my heart.

How this man still loves me when we arrive at our destination is anyone's guess.

On a lighter note... or possibly just a just-as-weird, different-subject note... it was decided at family Christmas last night that when I have children, we are going to tell them that Santa Claus doesn't like cookies and milk so much as he likes nice cheese plates and glasses of wine.

Very large glasses of very good wine.

Or, you know, whatever kind of wine Mommy drinks.

I've started writing again, after failing NaNoWriMo miserably, and so far I'm on track. Wish me luck keeping up with it during the holidays... I'm going to still try to get my three pages per day while we run here, there, and everywhere.

What can I say?

I'm an optimist...

Until I'm in the car. After that, all bets are off, and there are deer everywhere just crouched at the side of the road, waiting for us to blink.

Sneaky ruminants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!