Sunday, December 9, 2012

14 Days Til My Illinois Christmas Commences


Yes, I know our reflection is in that image. Sometimes there are things I do to amuse myself that make no sense to anyone else. This was one of those times.

 I'd like to tell you I haven't really posted this week because things were just so exciting, but... that wouldn't be true.

Busy? Yes. Exciting? Not particularly.

We are most of the way through our piles of Christmas shopping, which considering it's only two weeks (!!!!) until we'll be back in Illinois to see my family... is probably a good sign. I'd like to be 100% done, but... turns out that I have a superpower, and that superpower is finding a way to tell myself 'I'll do it later.' I am like a procrastination hero. Somewhere, there's a medal. Or, you know, there will be - once they get around to making it.

I am neck deep right now in daydreaming about our plans for dog-ownership. It's kind of sad. I am actually wistfully comparing prices for food bowls and dog beds, harnesses and leashes. One of the local foster/shelter places had some gorgeous pitt bull mixes outside Petsmart today when we were there, and it was hard to walk away from them. Of course, it's hard for me to walk away from any animal in need, which is why it's so nice to have Jason there to insist of that annoying common sense stuff.

We're holding off on being serious about our dog-search until January, since at that point we won't be traveling for at least a few months. I didn't want to find the perfect dog, adopt them, and then have to turn around and immediately board them at a kennel or ask a friend to take them. That just seemed... like it would be kind of mean to the dog in question.


I have had an eggnog latte today already, but I think I am going to go make myself some more coffee. Seems like one of those days.

Also, it was something like 70 degrees earlier when we were out doing some Christmas shopping. Whenever I am homesick for Illinois, or have any qualms whatsoever about our decision to move to Greenville... I want someone to link me to this post, or remind me about it, or something. Seriously. Seventy degrees on December 9th.

Seventy.

I like that number.

I'll leave you with some Christmas music. One of my favorite singers doing one of my absolute favorite Christmas songs - this is Ella Fitzgerald singing "We Three Kings (of Orient Are)".




2 comments:

  1. Oh man, how I love Ella Fitzgerald! Love We Three Kings, too. I grew up singing in the church choir, and though I am a heathen these days, I still mist up when I hear some of those old favorites. Anyone (especially women) whose voice is thick, rich, with unhemmed edges gives me goosebumps.

    Hope you are enjoying the holiday season, honey. I have finals this week, then I get to collapse! (Well, I'm starting work back at the coffee shop at the end of this week, but still, it ain't homework!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do NOT miss finals, I can tell you that, haha. Hopefully you'll get some time to yourself to relax once they're over!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!