Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sleepy Goats, Aggressive Reptiles and Other Sunday Fun


We went to the zoo today!

Our friend Jo invited us to come along with her, her little toddler son, and Sarah (who I may have previously informed everyone is a saint. Several times. Although mostly on facebook).


That's Jo's little boy and Sarah, inspecting some ghosts. There were wood cutouts of animals, blow-up witches, Frankensteins, ghosts, and all kinds of Halloween-y stuff all over the zoo, because they do this annual event they call "Boo at the Zoo", where you can take your little one around in a cool, safe environment to do Halloween things.

I was also informed doughnuts are involved somehow by Sarah? But I'm not clear on that.



The monkeys were all incredibly sleepy. Most of them are nocturnal or at least enjoy the nighttime a little better, so I didn't blame them. I hadn't had any coffee yet and was myself having a little bit of a time staying awake.

On the other hand, I had a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast and those monkeys got sweet potatoes, spinach, oranges, and other assorted fruits.

Lucky monkeys.





The reptile house was the best part. The reptiles were all pretty active and moving around, which is fairly unusual. This little guy above was fascinated by the little red UV light on my camera (it comes on just before the picture takes) and kept snapping at the plastic trying to bite at it.

There was a little girl next to me who kept shrieking with fear, giggling, and then telling me to do it again.

I liked that little girl right away.


Now, they have all this little standing benches so that little ones like Ben can stand on them and see better into the cage without parents having to exhaust themselves having to hold their kiddos nonstop. This worked out especially well when we saw this big guy above, the rhinoceros iguana.

Ben clambered up to see him. He was just hanging out on his tree branch at the moment, but when Ben got up there, the iguana decided it was a little interested in what was going on out there with all the people.


So he got off his tree branch and came over to check Ben out.

Ben was not certain how he felt about this, but Jo (the lovely lady in blue there), Sarah and I knew just how to handle the situation.

We took twenty thousand pictures.

 All three of us.

All at once.


Of course, a big part of the reason the zoo was so crowded is due to the labors of that lady up there, the giraffe Autumn. Autumn had a baby a few days ago, and you would think that this little baby giraffe is going to find the cure for cancer with the way people crowd around.

I mean, I can't judge.


I went and took pictures of Kiko, too.


He was pushed as far back against the back wall of the enclosure as he could get. He wasn't going to have anything to do with the crowds of people cooing over him. He's a little too young to really understand we can't get over the wall and get close.

Baby giraffes are perfect. They are exact replicas of adult giraffes, only tiny. I kind of want one to live in my yard.


There were turtles everywhere, large and small. Spotted turtles, box turtles, tortoises, you name it.

These big guys were my favorite.

I like any tortoise so large I could ride it like a horse.

Although I definitely wouldn't get anywhere terribly quickly. I still think I would cut a fearsome visage riding my battle-turtle into war, though.


They had big cats, too; leopards, lions, and this beautiful ocelot here as well. He was napping when we walked up, but obliged me and let his head raise long enough for me to get a picture.

The way everything works, it winds you on a pretty straightforward path. At the end you walk past what is essentially the petting zoo.


The petting zoo was full of passed-out goats and a pig who seemed to be eating the "animal food crackers" kids threw to him out of obligation more than any enjoyment.

Also, Sarah accidentally hit a duck in the head with a cracker.

We thought that was a fitting end to our zoo adventures.

We met some friends for lunch and coffee, and then headed over to the Greenville Humane Society. Jason and I are planning to get a dog after the holidays are over, and I had put us into GHS's awesome "Best Friend Finder" program. Basically, you list the kinds of animals you're interested in, and if any come in they give you a call to let you know.

We'd received a call that a German Shorthaired Pointer had come in, but by the time we got there he had already been adopted. Which is kind of sad for us, but awesome for the dog. We decided to check out the animals anyway, and I nearly walked away with a Boxer named Tyson. Unfortunately, he has aggression issues with smaller animals. I hope he gets adopted; he was such a sweetheart.

My cat is my baby, though, and she's already going to be pretty mad when we bring a new quadruped home and expect her to put up with it.

After a quick stop to look at the puppies and kittens (because seriously, you have to they are some kind of drug), we went our separate ways and headed back home.

I had an oatmeal raisin cookie for dinner, because I am a grown-up and I wanted an oatmeal raisin cookie.

Now I'm settled in to laundry, fighting the cat over who gets to have all the blankets (I'm losing), and I think I'll make myself a cup of tea.

Oh, and in a completely unrelated note, I gathered together something like 20 pieces of jewelry I don't think I need to have any longer, and put them in a box to give away.

Of course, I just bought three new pieces.

So...

I suppose the moral of the story here is that balance is key, or possibly that I should just stop buying things.

I don't like that moral though, so we'll go with the balance one.

That one lets me buy new jewelry.

1 comment:

  1. I've kept an ongoing membership to the ABQ Zoo and Bio park, mostly so I can visit the capybara. Oh, how I want one for a pet! The capy at the zoo is old and kind of stiff, but I love him.

    The thing about zoos is that you realize, after staring at animals in squared-off habitats, that you're in your own cage.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!