Friday, October 19, 2012

Frost


This isn't the first frost - I've seen it the last couple of days, silvering all the taller grasses and the leaves. This is just the first time I decided to grab a couple of pictures of the pretty droplets as they begin to melt back into regular dew.

Driving to work this morning was lovely. Every time my car drew up a hill the air would be clear, every time I drove back down the hill there would be mist hanging not-quite-motionless over grass, steaming up from ponds, migrating across the road, preparing to evaporate as the sun rises.

I woke up this morning inexplicably in the worst mood ever. I know I joke about waking up like an angry bear until I've had my caffeine, but this morning it was more like a sullen giraffe or pouty snake. Caffeine appears to have cleared up the problem. Either that or simply the passage of time throughout the day. To be honest, I drink coffee basically nonstop through lunchtime so I can't really say which... there isn't even a control group for that test.


Does anyone know if you can press fall leaves? Some of those I see dropping to the ground are gorgeous, but I assume they'll just turn brown if you try to press them, right? I've been looking at this website's instructions. I may do something with them or at least use the colors for something. Or... who knows.

Sometimes things just catch my eye, but I've never really been drawn to hold on to flowers or anything. I think the idea came from a blog I've been reading lately who presses flowers. Well, and Garden & Gun recently had an article about an artist whose specialty is interesting pressed plants. Actually, that article is really neat and you should go read it - the artist in question searches out odd or very singularly Southern plants. They're framed, mostly individually, but then put up on a wall as a grouping, creating sort of an understated collage.

I've also been playing around with Pixlr - it's an online photo-editing site, completely free. You can add borders, overlays, create effects, or just sharpen things up a bit. I like to do a mix of the easy version and the advanced version sometimes just for fun, but I usually just keep whatever I end up creating to myself. It never seems to be quite as high quality as anything I create on our ancient copy of Photoshop.

Although if you're reading this blog for quality Photoshopping, we seriously need to sit down and discuss expectations.

Pixlr's not really going to get you the same effects as professional Photoshop or Lightroom or Elements or whatever the DSLR crowd is using these days, but it's fun.

I don't really take the pictures I take (especially those that came out of my phone, like today's frost pictures) any more seriously than that. If a hobby stops being fun... why do it?



I leave you with this:
O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow’s wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away.
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes’ sake, if they were all,
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost—
For the grapes’ sake along the wall.
 
"October", by Robert Frost.
 

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever do that thing in elementary school where you iron leaves between wax paper to make placemats? The leaves here turn gold (but not a pretty gold) then brown. No other colors. We haven't had frost yet, but the evenings are dipping into the 40s.

    Love that poem. Frost on Frost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember doing so, no, but I kind of wish we had because that would have at least given me an idea on how to press leaves, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, it's a cinch: Heat up your iron. Place a piece of wax paper on a kitchen towel that has been placed on a cutting board (something that can withstand heat). Artfully arrange colorful leaves on the waxed paper, then place another piece of wax paper on top. Place another kitchen towel over the whole danged mess and iron! Press hard and even! When done, remove kitchen towels. Voila! A work of art that your momma will treasure forever!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!