Friday, August 17, 2012

5 Things - The Purple Platypus Edition

I'm not feeling very well today, so instead of some sort of actual attempt at coherence, I'm just going to leave you with a few pretty, odd, or interesting things. You can decide which is which.

Note, however, that I have somewhat of a hefty rant about the concept of "budget/frugal fashion" as it seems to apply in Magazine World vs. The World That Actually Exists that will no doubt be popping up on your computer screens soon. I started it yesterday, and then didn't feel well enough to finish it, so it's just sort of knocking about my brain trying to make itself known, while my brain just whines about how it doesn't feel like thinking today.

 You may want to consider that a warning instead of something to look forward to, depending on who you are.

I am wearing as close to pajamas as I can get without breaking my work's dress code, which means my favorite big purple sweater with a bright yellow tank top, soft cotton gray pants that are supposed to look dressy - to be honest, they just look a little bit like they have an identity crisis - a pair of striped SmartWool socks that come up to my knees for warmth (yes, it is August in South Carolina and I am very cold; that should tell you how well I feel today)  and purple slip-on shoes that may as well be fuzzy slippers for how cozy they are.

I put on a headband and pulled my hair back, because the hair will not cooperate today and I am in no mood to force it. The hair is a wild and untamed beast, and some day someone is going to show me how to use a flatiron. Until then, the hair does what it wants. I'm not sure I'd have the energy to flat-iron it even if I knew how.

I'm going to be lucky if I don't fall asleep in my coffee.

In any case, I think I told you there would be some things today?

1. This is my favorite older woman ever. I want to be her when I grow up. She is like Betsey Johnson, with more glitter and fabulousness.



She is Desiree from Pull Your Socks Up, and she is that sort of zany, why-should-I-care-what-the-world-thinks brand of delightful that I aspire to. I may not wear glittery zebra-striped platform shoes when I'm her age? But that will mostly be because I would fall over all the time if I did.

Also I would leave glitter trails everywhere I go.

You want to spend some time just grinning your face off at a perfectly lovely, wacky person just having the best time ever? Go read Desiree's blog.


2.  I went to the library, and I checked out this book:


I am working my way, slowly, through what is essentially a history of the evolution of poetry written in the English language. Some of the early poems are essentially songs with unknown authors. I've just made it past the (somewhat large) Shakespeare section.

I like poetry. I know a lot of people find poetry inexpressibly boring, but I think that's mainly the fault of everyone being exposed to the wrong poems. Poetry is neat; it's life, and all that life entails, encapsulated into short forms.

I respond with shock to people who say they don't enjoy reading. It's not that I think that people should have to read? I just like it so much that I have a hard time grasping why anyone wouldn't. The problem  almost always seems to be one of A. having been exposed to reading as a punishment or hardship early in life without any kind of saving grace, or B. having had the wrong kind of reading forced on them when they were young.

Reading is such a huge part of my life, and so is poetry; a whole shelf on my bookshelf is basically devoted to books of poems I've picked up here or there. Sometimes I even write some.


3. I am super into owls lately. Between Sova Zena, bags I've been trying to figure out how to sew that I find online, and this necklace I bought on sale at JCPenney, I'd say I"m a little bit hooked.


I mean, come on. Look at its little owl face and its big owl-y eyes.

I can say owl until the word loses all meaning. Owl owl owl owl owl.

Owl.

Scuba!

4. The Swamp Rabbit Cafe, one of my newer discoveries (thanks to my friends Lauren and Liz) along the Swamp Rabbit Trail, is awesome. They have coffee and scones and sandwiches and deliciousness, but they are also a small grocery store with local and organic vegetables, fruits, meats, cheeses, and... other stuff too! I mostly get stuck on the cheese, to be honest.

Well, and the coffee.

Coffee coffee coffee.

What were we talking about again?

RIGHT. Swamp Rabbit Cafe. Sorry, my brain kinda wandered off there.

They are officially one year old in September, and they are throwing a party. I am totally going to that party.



... albeit not on a bike like the one in the ad there.

Although that bike would be fabulous.


5. I am in love with the color purple.

Well, not the book or the movie, exactly, although those are very nice, too... the actual color purple. The nice, jewel-toned royal purple is kind of all over the place right now, and I cannot express how happy that makes me.

I have purple shoes and purple socks (these are yesterday's socks/shoes; also SmartWool, though)...


I have purple sweaters from Mast General Store downtown (this is yesterday's sweater; today's is long-sleeved and warmer)...


... I even have a purple hair-tie in today.

I think I need help, or to just declare myself royalty and call it a day.

Well...

Long live the Queen!

We are totally amused.

We also need more coffee.





(also you've probably noticed that there is no platypus in this particular list of 5 things... unless you count me. I am adorable and vaguely venomous. I regret nothing.)

1 comment:

  1. Well helloooooooo there Katie!!! Thank you so much for your kind words, I am TOTALLY amused too:)). What a beautiful blog you have here, I'm your newest follower!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!