Friday, July 13, 2012

Raindrops and Gratitude


It's raining here.

(Yeah, we kinda noticed, every single person from South Carolina who reads this thinks to themselves simultaneously.)

 It's been raining for a couple of days now, and thank God, it's not that skies-open-up-and-just-dump-water kind of rain that the dry ground can't really soak up fast enough to really matter. You know what I mean - the rain that causes runoffs of red clay to stain everything in sight without actually bringing any relief to our trees.

These aren't really even thunderstorms, which I (and my nervous, storm-phobic cat who totally did not pick that up from me except that she totally did) am quite happy about.

No, it's finally a good, steady, constant slow drumbeat of moisture... something the grass, gardens, and ground can grab and hold onto.

It's also broken that sweltering heat wave, finally getting us down into the mid-70's to mid-80's that I love so much.



The flipside, of course, is rain-slick roads and a gray haze over everything, squelching ground and increasingly erratic traffic patterns.

I drive to work in the morning astounded at how many people in cars the same slate gray color as the road, rain, and sky just don't turn their lights on. They simply appear like magical beings out of the haze as they drive past me or pull out suddenly in front of me or in some other way announce their presence quite unexpectedly.

I have to say, it does add some excitement to my day. It also makes me very, very happy my brakes are trustworthy.

Of course, even three days of constant rain are a drop in the bucket for South Carolina. Obviously it's wonderful to see it, but it's a drop in the bucket for basically everywhere, considering that 61% of the continental United States is experiencing terrible enough drought conditions right now to be declared National Emergency areas. That's over 1,000 counties in 26 states.

You'll notice basically the entirety of South Carolina is on that map.

At this point, we take what rain we get with open arms and damp clothes. The whole state's about three steps from "it's raining" parties, but I wouldn't put it past us. Southerners (and the Yankees they bring down here with them) know how to celebrate just about everything.

Still, this is the kind of gray day, with this slight hint of dare-I-say-it a chill in the air, where you just want to pull on your coziest sweater, curl up under some blankets, and spend the day with coffee and a good book.



Well, at least I've got the sweater, the coffee, and the book.

Three out of four ain't bad, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!