Friday, March 30, 2012

From last week's downtown weekend


The river was up from the rain, the sun was out, and there was just enough breeze to make the temperature really mild and blow away some of the humidity.

Jason and I had breakfast at our favorite downtown breakfast place, wandered the banks of the Reedy River with a camera for a while watching the ducks, the tourists, and the water. We ended up at the Upstate History Museum to see a folk art exhibit I had read about. I suppose I'm trying to get back up to snuff as far as my understanding of what's going on in at least the local art scene. I feel like it's kind of a professional thing I should be doing now.

This was my favorite piece in the folk art show:


One of Richard Burnside's white wolves. He's done several of them. He's actually one of my favorite folk artists because his stuff makes me think of aboriginal Australian art, cave paintings, the super graphic and simplified symbols with the little bits of texture glued on. I like it when there's a lot going on in a painting like this.

I'm a fan of folk art - I like seeing what happens when people just create, without that constant drumbeat of art school's ideas of what is acceptable, what it "art" and what isn't.

This was Jason's favorite piece:



It's an oppossum mama and babies! The piece is by Minnie Adkins. Minnie's growing on me, too, although she wasn't one of my favorites before. I don't know - there's such a huge amount of humor, and not taking yourself too seriously, in folk art. It's something the "highbrow" art world could stand some more of.

So, yeah. The folk art show was a really good one. I'm excited to get back into really paying attention to the different exhibits going on - I can call it professionalism now, right?

I was able to get quite a bit of rearranging done at work today. Tomorrow's going to be all about people bringing in entries to our upcoming juried art show. I have been informed that there will probably be no time for work on the shop, but I get to listen to NPR at work occasionally, which means I don't have to miss the Saturday shows I like. So... in short, this is all good with me.

I know, I said I was just going to do a single photo.

I'm really bad at doing what I say I'm going to do, okay? Sometimes you just want to ramble.

Ah, well.

One of these days I'll do another simple, photo-oriented entry.

I promise.

Pinky-swear, and all that jazz.

(less than a week until I'm in Illinois!)

1 comment:

  1. Yay for less than a week!

    I like your chatty updates...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!