Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Very Merry Unbirthday to Me

Although it's exactly one day away, so...

Actually, if I get exact on this, I'm pretty sure I turn 25 sometime around... 4:30 in the afternoon on Sunday? I know Mom told me once.

I don't really remember. I was a wee bit busy being a newborn infant.


This newborn infant, to be exact.

Oh, preemie-Katie. You just swim in your cute little infant clothes, don't you?

Anyway...

Thursday, I received something in the mail.


The cat was also very curious.

It was a large something, so far as packages go. It was covered in brown paper, addressed to me from my whole family in Illinois (and Texas!), and it had decorations on it.


Stickers, and random marker markings, and...


And this. Now I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that 'happy birthday' was written by my niece, because that's definitely my sister's handwriting, but... but look at the faces.

I couldn't even take the brown paper off before I took way too many photos of them.

Inside...


A coffee calendar! Which, if you've been paying any attention at all to me or this blog, you will know is so incredibly appropriate as a present.

Note: I do not do my happy dance with a full coffee cup in my hand. That seems dangerous. Let's leave that to the gigantic coffee mug with legs, shall we?


Although this technically wasn't a birthday present, I just wanted to show you the newest addition to my rapidly growing childrens' library (I suppose eventually I shall have to have children in order to justify all these kids' books...) and when I was taking the photo, some of the evidence of the truth of that title decided to come sit with me.


There was also, snuggled within the gift bag, this.

This being a tiny, blue ipod shuffle. It's sort of oddly delicate looking. I adore it. It's the perfect color (actually a lot lighter than it looks in this photo), and it clips onto my shirt for working out. They gave me a gift card to iTunes as well, and now I have the new Adele album, the new Cage the Elephant album, and have been eyeballing the one Brand New I don't have and a couple of others, too.

I can only thank my whole family with every fiber for my awesome presents.

Of course, I have been saving what I think is the most incredible of my presents for last.

No offense to the ipod shuffle, but it cannot compete with this.


Yes thank you, cat. I'm glad you wanted to see, too.

You see that little paper heart? With little heart stamps?

My niece did that.


My 3-year-old niece, full of fire and light and imagination and "I do it myself!", made this for me. You can see the dotted lines where my sister gave her the shapes with work with.But that shaky red marker writing is all her. She's 3. I remember meeting her for the first time and this itsy tiny bundle being placed in my arms.

When I pulled this out of the box I started to cry, in the best possible way. I'm actually tearing up quite a bit now just looking at the photo. It's a twist of homesickness, to be sure, an awareness of just how far away I am (733 miles away from the city my sister and niece live in) but also this fantastic pride of that smart, brash, hilarious little girl.

I took the heart and I placed it on the bookshelf next to the TV, in a little Longaberger basket my mother bought for me years back, next to a tiny fairy-doll I got from a farmer's market in Bloomington-Normal, IL when I was visiting my family one time. Those three things are a pretty important reminder.

I may be turning 25, but I was three once. I was brash and entirely without common sense (hey, some things start early), loud and insistent, the youngest in a family of five and willing to throw as much noise around as I had to if I could make sure everyone was looking at me. My family looked at me once in a way similar to how I look at Delainey.

Sometimes I am so homesick it hurts. Sometimes it's horrible and sometimes it's actually kind of wonderful.

Today I have a Nominally Birthday Lunch (really, it's an excuse to eat at the best place ever, this little Brazilian restaurant that is fantastic. Then we have the Birthday Party. Then sleep. Then tomorrow a birthday lunch with Jason's family! His Nana and I share the same birthday.

I will have Monday to recover from all gaiety.

I'm going to need it.

1 comment:

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!