Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

Eh, it's Wednesday night and I'm feelin' wordy, so I suppose I'll toss this recipe up.

My New Year's Resolutions are, in a small and limping fashion, coming into effect. The most successful resolution has been my ongoing attempts to eat more healthily. I have a book of recipes from Clean Eating which is really just an empty sketchbook I took and pasted in recipes from the magazines, when my pile got too big and I realized...

The Rule of One More was about to kick in.

The Rule of One More is Jason's attempt to reign in my natural hoarding tendencies. The tendencies lead to thirty-two coffee mugs in the cupboard or a box full of shells and rocks just because I like shells and rocks or so many books they sit around in crates on the floor because we don't have enough room for them (yet).

Or the seven different large candles I have... although in my defense, most of them are almost burned out.

Or the moisturizers which appear to be multiplying somehow of their own volition.

In any case, the Rule of One More is a simple thing: If you get one more of (insert object here), you must get rid of one.

I work hard to take this rule to heart. After all, my poor husband does have to live in the Apartment of Rapidly Multiplying Body Lotions. And he did bring me a mug from his workplace one night.

So I do what I can. I cut out what I wanted and rid myself, in general, of the magazines.

The recipe I am about to share is mostly from Clean Eating, although of course I shift things up just a bit.

It's in my new sketchbook / recipe book.

And I love it.

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas


Ingredients:

2 cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and well rinsed.
Juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon
 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon (or whole, depending on the sweetness you desire) maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp coriander, ground (or smashed with a spoon if you're me and don't have a spice-grinder)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch salt and black pepper
Cayenne pepper - start with a pinch, add more to taste
Hot sauce, optional

Onto the Creation!

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Make sure you really mix it in there. When I did this, I actually put all the spices, olive oil, and maple syrup in by themselves, mixed 'em a little, and then added the chickpeas. Make sure the chickpeas get really coated in the mixture.

Spread your chickpeas out on a foil-lined baking pan. I used a nice big thin one. Try to make sure you only have one layer of chickpea-deliciousness.

Roast in oven for roughly 15 minutes, then toss chickpeas thoroughly. Return to oven and roast for another 10 minutes, maybe a little more depending on how crispy you want your chickpeas. A good thing to look for is dark brown spots; you want quite a few of them, but you don't want the chickpeas to burn.

Shake on hot sauce to your heart's content; devour in a delicious food haze of wonder and ask yourself why, oh why, did you never realize how wonderful chickpeas were before?

For those of you who don't like spicy at all: I found that using everything as measured except for the hot sauce - even with a pinch of cayenne pepper - it wasn't spicy at all. I added hot sauce and fixed that problem right up, but for those of you who don't like spiciness, the recipe as is is actually very mild.

This is a great snack food; just to munch on in small servings throughout the day. Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans are really calorie-dense, but this is because they're very high in protein, fiber, and iron. They're also really high in folate, which makes them especially good food for women who are planning on having kids soon or pregnant already.

I know, I kind of sound like this is a sermon at this point, but man, this stuff is good. So... so good.

2 comments:

  1. Nice recipe, now do you think you could now grind it all up and have a new version of hummus?
    Oh and are you hinting at a pregnancy by chance?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!