Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day Two of the Big Chill


Tentatively scheduled to work a few hours today. By the time I got up around 8 AM and looked outside, I knew there was no way I was going to make it, even if I did give it a shot. Everything that didn't have snow on it yesterday, and much of what does have snow on it, was also covered in a nice thick sheet of ice.

We broke apart the ice on my car and, for your knowledge, it was about half an inch of ice accumulation on top of the snow... which in places which have not been trampled or driven on or half-heartedly plowed was about six inches in my part of Greenville.

Gorgeous, but also pretty dangerous.

Workplace was closed again today, which I can't say I was entirely surprised to hear.

Or, you know, at all surprised.

So we settled in for Day Two: Return of Cabin Fever.

I spent the morning bemoaning my sorry lack of listening to my southern compatriots, who had stocked up on what had seemed like obscene amounts of staples like bread, milk, and eggs in the days before the snowstorm. My own three sorry pieces of bread and fridge quite empty of any calcium-heavy substance seemed like clear evidence to me that I hadn't taken them seriously enough.

Well, South, this transplanted Midwestern Yankee has learned her lesson.

I understood that everyone was very worried, and that they were stocking up.

What I underestimated was the extent to which everything shuts down, just how impassable the roads really would be, with the lack of snow plows and salt trucks I have taken for granted in Illinois. The fact that the road we live on, one of the more popular roads in town, appears to have gone entirely without snow plow or salt-truck attention for two whole days, is something that I was pretty startled by.

Sure, I thought the plows would be fewer and would run more slowly.

I didn't realize roads just wouldn't be touched, and the overwhelming understanding would simply be to shut everything down until the snow mostly melts on its own...

Next time, I shall join you in your entirely justified panic.


I have a lot to learn.

Down the hill to Justin's. He felt better and he had made coffee and come hell or high water (or, in actuality, very slick ice), I was going to have some.

Justin, you see, has milk. Delightful, delightful milk.

We discovered, on our walk down, a single truth: the whole complex we live in was covered in very slowly melting ice, just coated in it. Stairs, roads, even the leaves.



We curled up in Justin's place with coffee and food and video games for the better part of a few hours, before Jason got a call that while they still weren't sure on whether or not his third-shift job would be running that night due to the problem of all this melted snow and sleet re-freezing and making the roads even worse than before, they could pull him in on second shift at least, and it is hours and pay.

So back up the hill we went. 

So Jason is napping for now, before going in. I am scheduled to work a four-hour shift tomorrow.

For the evening it'll just be me, hot chocolate, a bowl of popcorn, and about fifteen blankets.

Okay, that's an exagerration.

We only have eight blankets we have out right now.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly! ONLY eight. I try to get Jason to get more, but he seems to think that living in a part of the country where being below-freezing outside is fairly unlikely even in the winter months means we don't NEED more than eight blankets.

    Pffft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some bad weather. Last year, we had a rough time of it and I was actually snowed in for five days straight. Our driveway is a third of a mile up a hill and there was no way I could get out. Ice on snow, then more snow. It was the most snow I've ever seen in Maryland. Hope your weather improves!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!