Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chicken Curry Salad & My No-Good Terrible Very-Bad Day

It was not, all things considered, a good day.

I didn't get much sleep last night, thanks to the siren song of Dracula and my own night-owl nature.

One of my coworkers came into work feeling awful, barely moving, headache-y and dizzy. Sometime later, she passed out in the back and her mom came to take her to the hospital. Last I heard she was getting a CAT scan. I worry.

I just received a text from her; CAT scan was clear. Oh thank God.

We were absolutely slammed, my other coworker and I, after that point, and the two of us could not keep up, just could not keep up with the rush. I remember at one point looking over at the seemingly endless line of drink cups marked-up and despairing.

I dumped boiling coffee on my hand.

Which, by the way, is no fun at all.

I didn't really burn it badly but it sure hurt like the dickens for an hour or so.

Just.

Just not my best day.

I was meant to go to a party tonight, but decided to not force my own lousy attitude on anyone else just yet. Instead I stayed home and made Not-Quite-Feijoada.

Which, by the way, is wonderful.

I don't have much else beyond those few points in me. These are all the words about my day I have for you, my readers. Instead, I'm going to give you yet another recipe. Then, in a few minutes, I am going to make some Honey Vanilla Chamomile tea, curl up on the couch, and continue on with Dracula.

I have high hopes for tomorrow, though.

This is the chicken salad recipe I was working with Friday. No mayo, full of crazy awesome flavor, just wonderful.

When I had finished it, I thought, I bet my mother-in-law would really like this. That's how good this is.

Chicken Curry Salad


Ingredients
 
Around 2 - 4 tablespoons Extra-Virgin or other olive oil
3 lbs chicken, thawed, diced into 1-inch cubes.
1 yellow onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
4 heaping tablespoons yellow curry powder
2 cups raisins
2 apples (any kind - I used granny smith) peeled, cored, diced
1 cup chopped cilantro
4 green onions, sliced and chopped small

Onto Creation!

Heat your olive oil in a LARGE skillet. I mean large. I mean this recipe makes what I estimate to be around 8 servings of curry chicken salad, but you want to have some serious room to work with. 
 
 When olive oil is heated, toss in your chicken. Stir around until juuuust cooked through. If you cook your chicken too much at this point, it will be dry in the actual salad. Test by pushing in with your spoon to see if there is pink under the skin. When everything seems completely cooked, set your chicken aside in a small bowl.

Add yellow onion and celery to the same skillet you just took your chicken out of. Cook until your onions are translucent (for a couple of minutes). Add all your curry powder, and stir around and really mix it in with the onions and celery. Cook for about five minutes, then add raisins and garlic. Cook for another minute-and-a-half to two minutes or so. 

Toss together with your cooked chicken, then refrigerate until cool.

When all of this has cooled, add in your apples, green onions, and cilantro.

Mix really, really thoroughly, then place back in the fridge until serving time, or eat it right then!

I will say: this was delicious last night when I made it, and it was equally or more delicious today when I had the leftovers for lunch. 

Experiment: Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!