Monday, November 8, 2010

Postcards from the Annoying Little Sister

Have I mentioned how awesome my big sister is?

I'm sure I have.

Both of my siblings have shown incredible restraint since I was born, along with patience and this ability to like me despite having known me as a little kid that I find occasionally surprising and impressive when I remember what I was like as a little sister.

I'm sure I've mentioned my childhood of being that pesky youngest kid who pokes and prods at every possible method of annoying my older siblings, from forgetting my shoes on the coldest Halloween I even remember being alive for, to whining about them telling me what to do...

... to 'borrowing' Star Wars books or comic books without asking...

...to 'borrowing' clothes without asking...

... to suddenly whining about hand-me-downs when I've just spent the better part of my day trying to acquire my siblings' belongings to begin with...

Did I mention the whining?

I like to think I was kind of famous for it.

... or that part where I grew up in a house with enough bedrooms for each kid to have their own and yet insisted on sharing my sister's room for a while?

... or the part where I decided at just barely fourteen years old that I liked her newest boyfriend (now my brother-in-law) more than any of her others because he also watched The Simpsons and proceeded to tell her that as though it actually had any bearing on anything?

... or the part where I had a childhood fight over absolutely nothing with my best friend at the time and Christina found me sobbing with grief over The End Of Our Friendship! and patiently listened to me explain the whole problem, then finally asked me if I had talked to said best friend about this issue, wherein my brain exploded from realizing I hadn't even thought of that solution yet?

Well.

Now you know.

You'll never see me the same way again.

In any case, I received this card in the mail:

it's not 
that i'm always
there for you,
or you're
always there for me...

it's that we're always there for each other
and that's always meant so much.

I have the best big sister in the whole world.

I'm not even going to try and make that funny, because it's not funny, it's just awesome, in the original understanding of the word. My sister inspires awe in me, at her patience and fortitude and her way of setting goals and achieving them, one step at a time.

I will see my sister in person again, hopefully, on Christmas Day, along with much of the immediate and extended family I have been homesick for for forever.

I am hoping some time has been put aside for me to hug everyone and cry enough joyful tears that I become slightly embarrassing to be around in public.

47 days and counting.

1 comment:

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!