Thursday, September 2, 2010

that's what Katie's are made of?

this image obviously belongs to Starbucks, not me.

At work, something incredibly dangerous happened.

We began serving our fall lineup of drinks.

There is now a big ol' bottle of pumpkin spice syrup that sits on the counter all day. It is very orange. I stare at it.

It tempts me.

There is another huge bottle of Toffee Nut syrup, for a mocha and for frappucinos. I was able to sample a Toffee Nut Mocha Frappucino the other day? It is like drinking an ice cream Heath bar. I don't know if I like it or not, but goodness did I want more.

The cinnamon dolce syrup, while less tempting, stares at me, too. I glance at it, from time to time, aware once more that I could be getting one of those, when I'm on break. It's only really sugary, what could be the harm?

Working at a coffeeshop inside a bookstore is dangerous. I adore coffee and books are about a third of what I think about ever. It is a hard moment when I walk inside to clock in and become aware that I am surrounded by thousands of books. Thousands.

On my break, I could buy them. I get a really good discount. Why don't I buy all the books?

This is a moment of pure temptation. If I ever write a bargaining-with-the-devil short story, it will involve me coming into work to find the Devil telling me to just buy all the books.

In any case, most of the time I make it through my shift without finding a book too fascinating not to buy.

Most of the time.

Of course, I work in the cafe section of the bookstore, which means I am surrounded by coffee, espresso, sandwiches, and desserts all night long. Everything smells delicious. Especially with the pumpkin spice stuff now. Oh man.

I adore fall. I love fall. Fall is my second-favorite season. It falls second to spring, just because A. my birthday is in that nebulous few days in March that is neither winter nor spring just yet, when everything begins to flicker back to green but the winter grays and browns are still dominant, and B. I am a huge fan of that whole everything-turning-green-again time.

But fall, wherein everything bursts into bright colors and then goes cold and chilly, and I have an excuse to wear my favorite sweater, that's my second-favorite season. It helps that my father, my husband, and my sister all have birthdays that are technically fall-ish, though Christina's is more towards winter. Oh and my niece!

Who might be finding herself with a giant care package soon, if that monkey backpack I saw won't leave my mind alone.

I need kids, so I can buy them monkey backpacks.

This is my first Fall spent in South Carolina, or really anywhere below the Mason-Dixon line. I'm not entirely clear on what the weather will do; will I be able to wear my favorite cat sweater (and my only cat sweater; according to Jason, I am only allowed to own ONE cat-themed sweater because otherwise I am becoming a Crazy Cat Lady) very soon? Will I have to wait until December for the temperatures to be fall-ish? I don't know.

What I do know is that I am totally getting a pumpkin spice latte at work tonight on my break.

You can't stop me.

I can't stop myself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah...I'm into the Pumpkin Spice Latte, but I get it nonfat nowhip... A close second is my Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte--sugar free, nonfat, no whip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be glad that your cafe in a bookstore is not sat in a larger department store on the same floor as the chocolate-arium and sport's massage department! Next time the Toffee nut syrup winks at you - tell it you have been cheating on it with the Cinnamon, that should get it off your back for a while :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!