Saturday, August 21, 2010

This house is a house of sickness

I have been getting sick for a couple of days now.

Yesterday, the sore throat I went to bed with was still there when I woke up, only it was much worse and frankly quite angry with me for ignoring it before. I was okay through most of the day, but went into work already feeling telltale signs; my heads in a fog, I can't breathe through my nose very well, and my sore throat felt like someone was just scratching up the inside of it every time I had to speak.

I warned my manager about it, and she understood, and for closing shift it was me and a coworker, we'll call him A.

It was a bad night.

A and I held things up pretty well, but I'm not exactly an expert yet, so when I was on drinks it took me three times as long to do it as it might take someone who was used to it, which meant that when it got very busy, if I was the only one making drinks things got backed up very quickly. Luckily it wasn't very busy hardly at all.

However, I did the following things;

1. I managed to somehow place something wrong so instead of going into the thermos like it's supposed to, the coffee-brewing stuff ended up all over the floor. This happened while A was on break and a manager had to come help me, mopping while I kept helping customers. It was a mess so big it had to be mopped. I was so embarrassed I was about to pass out. I don't know what I did; no one is very sure how it happened.

But I know it happened. This is about the point I realized I was running a fever, albeit a small one.

2. I managed to put a box of soymilk back in the fridge without closing it properly, which spilled soymilk everywhere, while A and I were making drinks. I cleaned out the fridge and the floor got mopped for the second time that night.

These are both painfully embarrassing things to me, because I had such a good first couple of weeks! Which, well. Such is the truth of life; if I am very lucky to start with, eventually something like this will happen. Oh well. At least I got it out of the way?

The rest of the night was mostly uneventful, other than me being increasingly frazzled by the basic aspects of the job, which hasn't happened before, which I'm sure is entirely because I wasn't in my right frame of mind.

When we left, I drove him in kind of a haze; I knew where to turn, and I did so, but I wasn't really consciously thinking about it, or anything at all.

I got a bottle of Sprite at a nearby gas station, curled up with Jason, and then eventually went to bed.

Woke up this morning feeling worse. I've called in for the day, I can't go stand up for seven hours feeling like this, it will not end well. I don't want to repeat yesterday. I don't have a fever at this point or anything, but ugh. I can barely think straight; I wouldn't trust myself to drive.

Usually, when I get sick, there is a secret to treatment; stay home, don't make myself do much, go to sleep whenever I desire it. And I don't stay sick for long.

So let's see what happens.

I'm going to go curl up with Jason again.

That seems to help.

Bad nights are no fun.

2 comments:

  1. I hate being sick. It's so dreary. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost paranoid about getting sick, washing my hands OCD style at work if there is anyone with "symptoms"...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!