Friday, August 6, 2010

It's like progress

Getting to know your new area a little better by going out to eat with a friend counts as progress, right?

I'm marking it down as progress.

Just try and stop me.

We wandered past the water thundering down, and little kids running through the jets of water coming out of the floor, a kind of incredible wading pool. Some of the kids were in swimsuits, this joy planned and executed, but most of the kids were just in their clothes, with parents standing nearby who looked alternately pleased with their kids' happiness and concerned as they tried to remember if they had a towel or something for their kiddos to sit on.


I stood on a bridge by the falls, which I always note as a little accomplishment; my incredible fear of heights means that I can usually manage it for about a minute or less.

But the falls are so pretty!

I tend to just ride the adrenaline rush and then walk very quickly off the bridge again.

At a little restaurant just off the falls, Jenn and I ate fried green tomatoes; a southern delicacy I must admit I have never had, especially not with pimento cheese sauce on top. The batter was perfect and crispy and while I'm not the biggest fan of tomatoes, these were delicious.

For supper Jenn had a burger and fried while I had a crab cake sandwich and fried; gettin' all my southern stuff in, as Jenn said. I don't have any pictures of it, because I was so ready to scarf it down I didn't remember to take any, but trust me; quite tasty.

Then to O-CHA for bubble teas! In Carbondale, there was a little hole-in-the-wall bubble tea place run by really nice Taiwanese folks that made the best bubble tea I'd ever had; in fact, QQ Bubble Tea is what introduced me to the concept. It was a year or so after I got to college that I discovered bubble tea stores were popping up all over the place.

I had 'Thai milk series' flavor with tapioca bubbles, which tastes a little like Thai traditional tea, but a little more fruity than that. Very sweet and fresh-tasting.

That is Jenn's adorable little South Carolina purse; that's the state's "image", the palmetto tree plus crescent moon.

Now I contemplate coffee and breakfast, but I keep thinking about those fried green tomatoes.

And the cat keeps trying to think of a way to get outside and eat the birds that landed momentarily on our deck.

She has a lot of dreams, this cat of mine.

What is everyone else doing this morning? What are your plans for today or for the weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying yourself! Unpacking takes time - no worries, it will all get unpacked eventually!

    I've never tried Bubble Teas - always thought they looked interesting. I'll have to try one when I come visit.

    Hmmm...plans for the weekend - spend as much time with J.W. as possible. Lots of worrying, probably a few tears, pack some things that were just unpacked, and hopefully lots of celebrating his new job. Also, going to a Peoria Chiefs game tomorrow night with the Dunnan's. I'm sure the weekend will fly by!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that his big break had to come at this exact time, but at the same time I'm so happy for him I'm about to burst! And I can't help but admit that I'm kind of thrilled that you might be only four hours away again...

    I hope your weekend goes as well as it possibly can and everything goes as smoothly as possible. I love you, big sister!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!