Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Back on the 30 Days of Books Horse: Day Six

Yeah, we're settled enough that I feel comfortable starting this up (and hopefully finishing it this time) again! Also most of our books are now visible to me and not packed in boxes, so I can wander over and look if I can't decide what the name of something I'm interested in was.

Day 06 - Favorite book of your favorite series OR your favorite book of all time

Because we already answered the 'your favorite book' question, I'm going to go with 'your favorite book of your favorite series'.

I've already discussed my mad love for the Gears and their North America's Forgotten Past series. Indeed, today I may be buying their newest book since I realized the Greenville Barnes & Noble has it in, when our Carbondale store didn't.

Just remembered that the Greenville stores are our stores now.

Hee.

It's pretty hands-down my favorite series. So, my favorite book of this series...



People of the Fire.

The story starts off about a boy, Little Dancer, whose world is torn apart by essentially a mix of fate and the malicious, disease-like influence of his tribe's Dreamer (essentially, priest/shaman), who is a hollow man who uses his power over the people of the village to hold them in an iron fist, all while the famine grows deeper, the drought steals all the water, and the People are dying.

After a terrible tragedy befalls his mother at the hands of the Dreamer, the boy is given a choice: to right the wrongs the Dreamer has created (and become a man called Fire Dancer) or turn his back on Power and live in a more comfortable ignorance, but at least know he could have all those things he has always dreamed of: stability, a wife, perhaps children, a life not rent by constant acts of Power.

Of the whole series, I maintain that two of their earliest books are their best. This one, and People of the Wolf, the first book in the series, are still my favorites. People of the Fire is some of their best writing; the drama and worry and anxiety crackles in the pages, the people are fully fleshed out human beings, even the evil Dreamer Heavy Beaver has motivations and plans beyond actual evil, a fleshed-out history, and the sense that his story really did begin before the events of the book.

Little Dancer is a great main character, and we see him grow from boy to man in a wholly believable way. His character is deftly written. Tanager, a girl from a nearby tribe who also becomes very important, is one of my favorite characters of the series as well: defiant and fiery, she is known for her speed and ferocity in battle and is an incredible warrior. We see her grow from girl to woman in a way that made me want to cheer her on.

So, in a shorter entry than the last few (hey, I'll get back into my stride!), but at least I am getting this set up again!

Back in the saddle, as they say. The saddle of literature.

They...

they don't really say "back in the saddle of literature". I made it up.

I kind of want to call my collection of books "the saddle of literature" now, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment