Friday, July 2, 2010

Wind

Today, my sister and brother-in-law took my niece with them when they went to look at houses. My parents are at work. It is just me here in this great big house that isn't mine anymore. I spent my late morning/early afternoon doing dishes, a couple of loads of laundry, and generally reading through all the blog updates I may have missed over the last week or so.

I took a break from these strenuous activities to go for a bike ride on my dad's bike. The seat is just high enough to be a little uncomfortable for my legs, but really, it was with a spirit of adventure that I tore off through town and eventually out of it. Down the beginning of a country road (I have some seriously nice pictures for when I return to Carbondale), fields on either side of me and a huge blue bowl of sky stretching overhead. There's a saying about people standing at the foot of a mountain and suddenly realizing just how small they are: you can get that same feeling of this whole huge natural grandeur on this little country road outside McLean.

The sky stretches in perfect clear blue, the corn is rustling in the wind, the beans on the other side are slightly glinting with the sunlight. Everything is quiet except for birds and passing vehicles. It's a pretty peaceful place to be.

I rode out to Mt Hope Cemetery outside of McLean, to see my grandma. I knew I could not leave this state without speaking to her one more time. I went out there and sort of curled up in the grass in front of the dirt where she is buried. There was a little plant growing up big and strong in the midst of all this dirt. I talked to her a little bit. I cried a lot. There were some men nearby preparing for another funeral (my great-aunt Doris died this week) who kept their respectful distance, which I appreciated.

On my way back I took photos: of the cornfields, of the wildflowers, some of which we don't have even just in southern Illinois. I stopped to watch a small hawk circle through the sky. I took photos of the great expanse of flatland all around me.

I suppose one has to say farewell to the flatlands as much as to their inhabitants.

My brother-in-law is making homemade pizza for us tonight. I'm pretty excited. Jason is coming up tomorrow night! I miss my husband. I will be happy to see him again. I am thinking I will head back to Carbondale on Monday... I have a lot of work to get done for this move and really not a ton of time in which to do it.

We're in the last month! Countdown 29 days.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you've had a nice relaxing and reflective day. One of those days that you look back on years from now, and it brings a smile to your face.
    Can't wait to see all the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!