Friday, July 23, 2010

30 Days of Books

I'm going to attempt to do this. I know I'll skip a few days when I move until we have internet again, but I'm sure you'll love me even so. Have I told you to prepare for that?

It could be as many as two or three days without updates here, from Saturday the 31st through Monday or Tuesday.

I know that's going to be stressful for everyone involved. I've actually really enjoyed writing in here and letting all of you peek into my incredible wells of rambling madness here.

So.

30 days of book questions. And here we are at Day 1.

Day 01 - A book series you wish had gone on longer OR a book series you wish would just freaking end already (or both!)


A book series I wish would just end already: The Exiles Trilogy by Melanie Rawn.  


The Ruins of Ambrai was published in 1994 and I think I got it when I was thirteen, around 1999 (I only know this because I remember taking it to one of my visits to see my friend Rikki after she moved) and it was the largest book I had tackled at that time.

It's set in a world which is not our own, which one could read as an alternate earth if they wished, but that is eventually sort of hinted at to be another planet which was colonized, but then technology and records of said colonization were lost and magic runs the world now. At its heart, it's the story of three sisters, with each book seeming to have a different sister at its 'heart', for good or for ill. Its sequel, The Mageborn Traitor, was published in 1997 and I got it in '99 as well, because I became obsessed with the first book and absolutely had to know what happened. It's incredible. It ends with an incredible twist and shift in storyline. It is the best 'middle' book in the series I have ever read.

Then... nothing. There is meant to be a third book. Melanie Rawn has written other books since then but has stated that she hasn't been able to finish the Exiles Trilogy due to some personal problems she had (which I've found hints that she became very depressed and returning to the world of the books tends to spark that depression again). I understand and I am willing to wait as long as it takes, but darn it, I want to know what happens to my favorite character.

Well that was long.

A book series I wish had gone on longer: Does it need to be a series, or can it be a book I wish was a series?

Well, I'm not going to list a specific book here, instead I'm going to talk about something I wish more writers would do.

I wish more writers would world-build and then write a series of books that exist within that world, not necessarily always about the same characters. The Exiles Trilogy, for instance, has Lenfell, this incredible world that Rawn built and that I adore and it has so much potential for incredible stories told about all kinds of people and history. If Rawn were to finish Exiles and then write more books about, say, Sarra's and Cailet's continuing adventures or their children or whatever, I would be disappointed.

Jason and I talk about this problem in regards to Star Wars novelizations a lot.


 There are too many novels that just repeat something Evil and Sinister happening to the characters from the movies.

There's a whole giant universe out there, explore it! My favorite Star Wars novels are those that deal with people who are not Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, or any of their children. Even if the original characters make an appearance, I'm usually happy as long as it's not All About Them.

So, in short, anytime I really like a series of books I usually wish not that that particular storyline would go on longer, but that the authors would explore different aspects of this incredible world they've built, different people, different stories.

Jacqueline Carey had a lot of potential for this, but has too much of a tendency to write The Incredible, Beautiful, Clever, Loved By All Female Protagonist character no matter who is technically telling the story.


Her Imriel-focused series (Imriel being a supporting character in the original trilogy and the main character of another) suffered for still focusing too much on Phedre. I haven't read her newest book but I was excited to see her dealing with the same world, but a completely different, unrelated story.

Wow that took a while.

Can you tell I like books?

Books books books.

Okay lunch-time now. Jason made delicious foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!