Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Katie, I want to watch Princess Tiana!"

I am watching my niece while my sister and brother-in-law go apartment-hunting. We've gotten many of their things here and the rest is sitting in storage until they find a place. So while they're off apartment-hunting, I have my niece.

She is a tiny bundle of adorable things wrapped up in a little girl's body. We watched Sesame Street and Word World while her mama was still here, and now it's just us! So of course we both voted to watch The Princess and the Frog, which we both love. Of course I think a two-year-old and a 24-year-old love the movie for mostly different reasons, but let me tell you, some of them are the same.

We both like to sing along, somewhat off-key.


I love this movie. I love the return to the 2D form, the vibrancy of colors and movement that you can see is just different than computer-generated animation. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Pixar fangirl, too, but Disney needs to return to some of the amazing things you can do with 2D animation!

So we are watching "Princess Tiana", Delainey and I. We both are dancing along with our favorite songs and singing, too!

"He's mean," Delainey tells me when the Shadow Man comes onscreen (the villain). "He needs to be nice to his friends." Or when the food falls on Tiana and her friend Charlotte comes to help her, "She is nice to Tiana. Tiana doesn't want to dance, though."

This is the cutest thing ever.

Have I mentioned I love kids? Especially this particular kid. She is two years old, this child, and she is telling me, sometimes in full sentences, about everything in this movie.

Now we're eating lunch. I stole a fruit snack when she wasn't looking... I don't think she's noticed yet.

"STELLA!" my niece just yelled along with Big Daddy onscreen.Of course she doesn't know it's a reference to A Streetcar Named Desire, but part of me is just giggling madly at her yelling "STELLA" so loudly like that.

Er... I might just have to reiterate how much I love this kid. Because I really, really do.

Yay this movie. It's quickly-paced, but still funny... and most important, funny in a way that doesn't go over kids' heads, but also doesn't talk down to adults really either. There aren't a ton of modern references that make the movie not really work in its own time period. The colors are beautiful and I love the design for the bayou and New Orleans and Mama Odie and everything about this movie.
Not as much as I love The Liong King, though. That's still my favorite.

And not half as much as I love the little girl watching this movie with me.

"Princess is Tiana isn't scared," Delainey tells me as alligators threaten our main characters. "She's not scared!" And she sticks a fruit snack in her mouth. "She's not scared of the alligator!"

That is all.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I ahve not seen this movie!!! sounds precious. you seem like a really great aunt. thank you for the blog visit :) have a lovely day.

    shona

    ReplyDelete
  2. When this movie came out at the theaters, my 4yr old daughter and myself were one of the firsts in line! She had talked about the movie for several months before it premiered, and it didn't disappoint!
    One of the classics in the making!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!