Monday, June 14, 2010

Got some rain today


We actually got the kind of rain that really means it, though only in short bursts a couple of times. But when it did rain, it was just pouring. It was definitely nice to feel the breeze become cool and to feel those cold-ish drops on your skin. If I had not been 24 years old and on my way to eat dinner with my husband, I would have gotten out of my car and danced in it.

I'm sure the plants are as much as dancing right now. We had a dry week and a half or so, really, and I was starting to see the plants showing it. We saw a raccoon digging for mudcrabs by the side of the road tonight, though he took off before I could get a picture of him. He was a smart little thing.

I've always liked raccoons. I've got a soft spot for animals who are clever and have a sense of humor. Probably why I like cats so much.


Cats who get very tired of me taking their picture.

Jason and I decided to have a (very rare) "date night" tonight. We finally saw Iron Man 2, which so far as I can tell is simply a movie about introducing Tony Stark (the main character) to the comic-book universe he really inhabits. I can see why a lot of people I know didn't like it now: it was very much a comic book movie. The first movie was a high-tech action flick with a lot of comic-book feel to it: the sequel is a comic book brought to life, and is basically making way for the movies Marvel will be putting out very soon (Thor, Captain America, the Avengers, etc).

My favorite characters, as always, is the guy that represents S.H.E.I.L.D. in the first movie and shows up in the second, too, the very kind of secluded quiet agent who is dry and hilarious.


After the movie, we had dinner at Pagliai's Pizza & Pasta, a kind of Carbondale 'must-see' place we'd never been to. No good reason, we just never had. I feel that we missed out on some very awesome pizza by not having gotten there sooner. The pizza was delicious, the side salads were delicious, the glasses of water we had to drink were incredibly large. Our waiter was a cool guy and pretty nice. All in all, things went very well. I really liked it.

I have a single piece of pizza chillin' in the fridge. It will be the breakfast of champions.

Right now I am calling out fervent Hallelujahs for the gift of rain and a cool breeze and falling headfirst into Hallelujah Anyway, an art book by illustrator Patrick Woodroffe, who does these incredibly detailed fantasy scenes with funny verses alongside.


I love this book. It's very inspiring, too, since I am most clearly an illustrator before I am anything else. The lines between these labels are pretty blurred, but I come down strongly on the side of illustration, I think. I am hoping to find more books of his in the future, when we have money for me to search for potentially expensive out-of-print books.

It's helping me get through a kind of art block I've been having, hence the lack of updates at The Giant's Eye. At first it was more my grandma's death had a nasty effect on my ability to do anything but just observe things, not create them, and now it's more that I'm so worried about the move and everything, it's kind of messing with my focusing skills. Oh well. Best way to get over an art block is to find inspiration to start back up again.

I am also drinking some of the last of the Berry Mint Tea. It is very, very good.


So... that's it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!