Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Of a walk

Just some photos tonight; it was kind of an uneventful day, all things considered.


We saw our turkey friends again! The same two, I think, the gentleman turkey and his lady-friend. They were sneaky this time, though, and I only managed to get fuzzy, blurry shots of them. On the other hand, isn't this dead weed attractively in-focus?


We saw our deer friends, too. There's actually two of them in this shot, one's got her head down. We ended up counting five separate deer before our walk was over: we saw them on the way out and the way in.


My attractively windblown husband.


My husband's squinty wife (ie, ME, sillies). I am wearing a Charleston pirate flag T-shirt I got the first time I went to see Jason in SC.


Farmer's out plowing further down the road. A John Deer tractor this time, but you know what, I'll forgive him.

Actually, as we were walking, Jason made a comment about how neat it was to smell all the freshly tilled earth. It was a smell I hadn't even noticed until he brought it up, really? But it did smell good; kind of loamy and, er, well, earthy. In any case, it definitely smelled like freshly tilled earth. So, you know. This is why my mother sent me to college: to learn these incredible descriptors.


I managed to snag some photos of local wild birds. This is a red-winged blackbird.


I am actually not sure what this is: I didn't get a close enough look at it and the picture isn't quite detailed enough.


A mourning dove! They are basically pigeons, only we call them doves if we think they're pretty.

They were very, very excited at what the farmer was doing. A lot of insects were being overturned and running for cover, and it was basically an all-you-can-eat buffet for the birds tonight.


A weedy flower! It was very pretty, but had little spines on its stem so we mostly left it alone, except to take the picture.

And we'll end our evening walk with two sky shots. We had some neat clouds going tonight.



So there you have it. It was a nice walk.

Also, someone... or something... stole one of our bunches of cilantro right out of the pot today. It was there this morning, and while I was inside in the afternoon it happened, since it was gone by the time we went for our walk. It doesn't really look like an animal: it's too evenly ripped/cut. It kind of looks like one of our neighbors wanted cilantro for their evening meal and came and took a half of ours.

We're not terribly appreciative, but who knows what happened. Our actual next-door neighbors are off in California getting an apartment to start their grand adventure in driving halfway across the country about two months before we start our version. So I don't know who the culprit was. Perhaps I'll catch 'em out next time, if there is one. I kind of hope not.

Everybody sleep well! It is time for Katie to go to bed.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful part of the world you live in, wonderful that you obviously appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your area is breathtaking! I wish I had more time to walk around town and discover its beauties. I don't often walk anywhere. =/

    Kiss your cheeks. =*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee, thanks you guys. It is really pretty? And I really like living a little out in the country like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you come to SC I will take you to the SC Botanical Gardens. They're just across the road from our neighborhood and we take the dog there for hiking. You will LOVE them and will constantly run out of room on your camera. Then we can get ice cream. Nom nom nom
    There is so much fun we will have when you guys get here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!