Thursday, April 1, 2010

Streeeeetch

I made delicious foods yesterday. I made a version of Cowboy Caviar that was packed full of fresh veggies as well, and it was essentially incredibly delicious. I forgot to take pictures because I am a bad person, but I will give you the recipe nonetheless!

Ingredients
2 tblsp olive oil (we use extra virgin for everything)
1 1/2 tblsp hot sauce (this made it very spicy! If you don't want it to be spicy, use 1 tsp to 1 1/2 and that will cut spice down a lot)
2 tblsp red wine vinegar
1 tblsp cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 medium-to-large carrots, chopped
1 medium-to-large green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 medium-to-large red bell pepper, chopped
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 small can salsa casera (you can find it in your Hispanic Foods section at Wal-mart or somewhere)
1 small jalapeno pepper, diced (this will also make it spicy! you don't really need this if you don't like the spice)

To Make
First, put in the olive oil, red wine vinegar, cumin, hot sauce, garlic. Mix with a fork until it seemed fairly well mixed. Then add all of your fresh veggies: the carrots, bell peppers, jalapeno. Use your fork to sort of start mixing the veggies in with the flavoring. Then add your canned goods, mix well until everything seemed fairly well coated. Cover and place in the fridge for at least half an hour (I recommend an hour, to let the flavors mix).

This is absolutely delicious as a dip or just on its own, in tortillas, etc. Jason and I always make a huge bowl of cowboy caviar and then devour the whole thing is like 24 hours, heh. The best thing about Cowboy Caviar is that you can basically put anything you want in there that makes sense with the flavors, and it's the easiest thing to throw together and have a couple of meals ready to go.

In other news, today I helped my friend Casey's mom out at their house with washing out flower pots and such. Tomorrow I am going back to do that some more and then help her weed, spray weed-killer, and plant. She is basically awesome.

Jason should be getting home from work in half an hour... yay! Although I have to go to bed basically immediately because I'm going to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow (or 6 AM, you know, same thing). And laundry still has to be done before I go to see my parents, so I'll do that tomorrow night. What an exciting life I lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!