Monday, April 12, 2010

The Devil's Standtable & a Day at Giant City

Jason and I went for a hike in Giant City Park the other day outside of Carbondale and let me tell you, anyone in Carbondale, if you haven't gone to Giant City on a sunny day/any day at all, you need to. That's just a fact of life.

I took something like 230 pictures over the course of our time there and have managed to cut down to a surprisingly small amount that are my favorites...


One to lure you in... click 'Read More' to see the rest!



Just to give you an idea of where we started out.


The Devil's Standtable. No, I don't really know why they named it that. It sounds exciting, though, doesn't it?


Growing things...


Happy to see us!

The sun was especially pretty


This looked like a little door or something. I liked it.


Kind of a creek, but just barely. It was mostly just mud.


White flowers on a tree/bush. They actually had reddish pink bulbs, but none of the shots I got of those were very good.


Some really pretty flowers.



This tree's roots were kind of trying to escape out of the ground.


Water winding its way out of the cracks in the limestone. When you get kind of close, you can hear this light rushing sound of it traveling through, and the drip onto more rocks or onto the ground.




To me this looks like two huge rock creatures turning their heads to look at something.



We wind our own way up through the rocks.



These were actually hanging off of a pile of rocks, they weren't anywhere near the 'ground'... but if enough dirt has built off over time, beautiful things appear.


These reached up and caught my leg. Apparently they really wanted their picture taken, and I had no problem obliging them.


We're starting to wind our way towards the end


You can see the 'Devil Standtable' sign we started at.

The little plant clinging to the fence didn't want us to go!


After the hike, we went to go eat hamburgers at Fat Patties, which is rapidly moving up the list to be our favorite place to eat in town. Any Carbondale people reading this, go to Fat Patties and get the Lick Creek burger. It's locally provided grass-fed beef and I could definitely taste  the difference. Jason got the Beef Brisket Burger thing and it was also amazing. I always get fries on the side because they have some of the best fries I've ever eaten (and all the malt vinegar to put on them you could possibly want). Jason got the Fried Green Beans which were also amazing.

Uh, in short, go hike at Giant City and then eat at Fat Patties and you will be full of happy?

That was Saturday. On Sunday, we went for a nice walk in the morning, then had Fighter Practice (sort of an SCA thing, everyone wears armor and bashes each other, only it's much more refined and technical than that, kinda... I mostly sit to the side and applaud) with our friends (and a whole lot of them came!), went out to dinner at the Chinese Buffet with them, then had game at night which went pretty well. In short... we had a great weekend, which was something we really needed to have.

The both of us are definitely feeling more recharged.

Only a few more months until we move to SC!

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Glad you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! I love Giant City! And Fat Patties sounds delicious!

    I especially loved all of the flower pictures - I just love nature like that! Those first few signs of Spring poking through - just gorgeous!

    Glad you had a great weekend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, Katie. I also thought those two (2) rocks looked like they were looking at something! Funny.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!