Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Feast

I had to take a couple of Midol (okay, THREE Midol) so far today, and that interacts badly with alcohol (yay, acetaminophen poisoning?) so I can't drink tonight, this most drinkingest of nights, New Year's Eve! Since I planned mulled wine for the menu, I am still making it (two bottles worth! Because I am going to drink it all tomorrow night, probably, when the tylenol stuff is out of my system), but I am also making mulled apple cider for myself. It's just as good, if less full of tannins and awesome.

Menu for tonight: Split pea soup with ham and bacon, dinner rolls, mulled wine/apple cider. I think my friend Alana is bringing dessert and a friend. Hopefully Leo will come, possibly Leo + one?

Split Pea Soup:

At about 11 this morning, I put my two packages of split peas into a large bowl and filled just over the top with water. Over time, they expand like crazy, so make sure only about half your bowl has peas in it before you put the water in.
One package pre-cooked ham steak. Cut into small cubes. You can buy it in cubes, but I don't know. I don't trust pre-cubed ham steak, do not ask me why.
3 strips regular (not sweet, not maple, just regular) bacon. I find peppered bacon is TOO peppery for this soup. Cut into tiny pieces (or not so tiny, if you lose your patience like I did).
Add into large skillet, with some olive oil. While this is cooking:
Take one medium yellow onion, dice it, toss it in. Allow onions to begin 'sweating' (looking wet and translucent).
Cut up two large carrot sticks into small cubes. Toss in with onions and meat.
Cut up three large-ish celery stalks. Throw in with carrots, onions, and meat.
Allow to cook for ten-fifteen minutes, depending on how fast things are going. When the onions look see-through and delicious and the bacon appears to be done cooking, drain your split peas and throw them in as well.
Pour in one whole large package chicken broth, until the broth just covers the top of the rest of your ingredients.
Put in pepper, parsley, and bay leaf to taste. Don't salt this soup! It doesn't need salt, the bacon and ham more than make up for it.
Bring to a boil, then set to simmer. Allow to simmer for a couple of hours. Turn heat off and whisk the soup until the split pea mash and the broth are truly one.
Let the soup set for about an hour. Turn heat back on and re-heat, still in the pot you cooked it in. Simmer, people. Simmer.
And soup is delicious and there is SO MUCH OF IT.

Dinner rolls are just frozen rolls I am allowing to thaw right now before I stick 'em in the oven.

There, don't act like I never did anything for you. I gave you my special Awesome Soup Recipe.

Something you need to know about me: I love peas. I eat them whenever possible. And I love split pea soup.

I can smell the wine mulling :( It smells so delicious. Oh well. My liver will thank me when it doesn't die as I abstain from alcohol this evening. The apple cider will be delicious too!

I know I seem very enthusiastic in this post, but I am actually so tired it's not even funny. I slept entirely too long last night, which has to be at least part of the problem, but the other part of the problem is simply that I don't feel well, I am a lady and ladies sometimes don't feel well. My body is reminding me of that fact.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Edited to show some pictures... obviously the date on the camera is wrong, I didn't set it for some reason. BUT here we have mulled cider, mulled wine, and split pea soup with ham and bacon

1 comment:

  1. Looks pretty good. Now if I only LIKED split pea soup!!!

    How long since you took the Midol? I would think you could have some wine...I think you'd be fine.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!