Tuesday, February 3, 2009


It is so cold. It is so very, very cold. It's "officially" 14 degrees here, but don't let that fool you, with the wind raging so hard and so cold we're probably actually just getting above zero now. My pinkie toe on my left foot always goes numb first. Thank god for my scarf over my nose. It's so cold that it the wind gets in your eyes and the colors of things change, everything goes vaguely reddish.

So it turns out I may have gotten an automatic zero on my very first project in silkscreening. Why, you ask? Well, it's mandatory that you show up for critique days, because that's when you get your grade and get told what you did wrong. Essentially, unless you are in the hospital, you have to show up. Our crit was meant to be last Tuesday, but campus was closed. They re-opened campus on Thursday, but my car was still stuck until late late Thursday night thanks to the piles of snow and ice that we couldn't dig through until a neighbor let us borrow his snow shovel and we spent a good three hours working on it just so the two of us could get to work on Friday.

In any case my teacher and most of the class DID manage to get there on Thursday, so they had crit. I know at least one other person didn't make it, and I also know that essentially everyone but me and that girl lived within walking distance of school. So I don't know what the teacher will do. If she tries to give me a zero, though, I'm probably going to go over her head to the dean and protest it. When I'm literally trapped in my house, there's not much I can do. The work was done and it was even in the classroom where she could get to it to grade it, I just couldn't get there myself.

On Wednesday, Jason worked 1 to 10, so he just walked to work. I called in Wednesday morning because there was no way I was going to make it walking OR trying to get my car out. It turns out basically everyone else called off too, so I do feel bad. Wal-Mart had about half their usual turnout of workers over two days, and about twice as many customers as one would expect in a snowstorm. Apparently? If the weather gets bad, everyone goes to Wal-Mart.

Friday Jason and I carpooled because we got my car out, but his was still uber-stuck. So I went to work an hour and a half early and he was there to pick me up when I got off an hour and a half after him. He only got his car out Sunday, I think.

Then the administration has actually admitted outright that they don't plow lots based on student need. They plow the administration's building lot first, then if there's a game they plow/salt the parking lot and sidewalks for that game... and then after that they try to decide which parking lots for students should be bothered with. So by the time they get to us, they've used half their available salt on the arena.

Things are better today, they did some more work over the weekend. But man, you'd think they'd touch the handicapped stuff before they did the parking lot for a game. I'm not sure who they think is paying all of their salaries? But I'm pretty sure it's the students. And I"m not saying we should get carte blanche to go crazy and be entitled, but I think I am at least entitled to the school I am going deep into debt to go to to at least pretend to care about my safety.

So I'm hanging out in the computer lab until I need to go over to the art building. It's only a few hundred feet but let me tell you, it's gonna feel like miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the world go round - please leave your thoughts and I'll make it my goal to answer!